Jap Bose Head Unit Dead... Can I replace with any car stereo

nate247

Hi guys...

Might seem like a stupid question (and sorry if it is). Im a new 350z owner and loving it (all bar the head unit just dying on me).

Long term I think that I will get one of those swanky double din units with sat nav, bluetooth etc built in. However for now money is a bit tight and I was wondering with a single din adapter (and conversion cables) if I could put any unit in there with the stock speakers or do I have to get something that meets certain power requirements etc?

Sorry to ask but car audio is not a forte of mine I am afraid to say...

Would appreciate any advice in terms of getting something working for the short term as I am lost without music :-(

Many thanks, Nathan.

What went wrong with your bose stereo? Some problems can be fixed, some are more difficult...

As for replacement - pretty straight forward, but the main thing you'll need is a PAC ROEM-NIS2 adaptor (often find these on ebay, but you're local car audio store should be able to get hold of one) and single din facia.

Take a look here: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16403

Steve

Thanks for the advice guys. Not really looking for anything other than a stop gap for now and I already have a single din adapter that came with the car upon purchase.

Infact the car came without the original BOSE unit installed and only today did I take the dash apart and put it back.

It sounded like the CD mech was jammed and kept saying "push eject" which I did. It just kept making a clunking noise and then after about 10 mins just died and had no power. Tried it a few more times and no joy, just completely powerless.

It looks like the guy I bought it from had an aftermarket and kept the old stereo in the garage or something (as it was a tiny touch battered on the front and it sounded like something was lose and rattling in there as well).

My plan was always to get a top of the range Pioneer or something in the new year, so just need something to get me by in the short term. So was just wondering if I could just buy any old thing for now or whether the head unit must meet certain critera (i.e wattage etc)...

I have been reading up on the forum since I joined but am not convinced I have found out what I have been looking for :-(

Continued from here: http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17459

The lead you have is for a head unit with all four speakers on phono plugs at the back (usually pre-amp outputs). It may be suitable for some stereo's which offer a mid-level output suitable for the BOSE unit, but for most that I've seen the pre-amp output will be too low.

Best way is to use a PAC ROEM NIS2 to correctly ramp down the output and have this connected to a nissan micra ISO wiring harness (like this one: Click here)

Might be worth posting up in the 'wanted' section here, to see if anyone is selling a pre-wired PAC ROEM NIS2, to save you having to do the wiring?

Steve

Steve, your an absolute star... thanks so much for your help.

This is getting more complicated by the minute (too much for my tiny brain to comprehend)... ;-) lol

Perhaps the safest bet is to put an AD in the wanted section first to see what I can get hold of and then go from there.

In the meantime, its probably just as well to order that Micra Adapter that you kindly posted a link too as whatever happens, I will most likely wind up needing one of those won't I?

Thanks again for everything... I will try and get somewhere with this today as I would like to take your stereo off of your hands asap.

Many thanks, Nathan ;-)

See how the ad goes, you might not need the micra adaptor, if someone offers up a fully wired PAC adaptor to ISO block.

If you find it difficult getting hold of a PAC adaptor, you can use the micra adaptor without the PAC unit, but it is a bit of a 'bodge' as you need to be careful to keep the headunit volume only on the lowest settings, because the BOSE amp will make it sound very loud! (that said, I ran my stereo like this for a year... :scare:)

Steve