ipod in a 350z

lnorange

Sadly, the answer I didn't want to find!

My CD player has given up so I thought I'd connect an ipod/mp3 player in some way to get around the cost of 1k for a totally new head unit replacement.

If anyone can suggest any alternernatives - or has successfuly connect an ipod/mp3 player then I'd love to hear from you.

Cheers

SteveBee

Not sure where the 1k comes from :wacko:

I had an Alpine X305 with Bluetooth adaptor for my phone fitted by the dealer for £500 and my ipod and phone are all controlled via the Alpine head unit and the ipod and phone display are all visable through the Alpine screen, your problem solved :thumbs:

it's possible to modify the bose headunit to have an aux in by cutting a track and doing a little soldering on the tapedeck part ... I refer you to :

http://my350z.com/forum/audio-video/939 ... guide.html

not sure I'd bother though! :dry:

I did this today and I'm well chuffed with it. Hid the switch and cable in the cubby hole in the dash. I could never get a decent reception with the FM transmitters. Its not that hard to do either :)

it's possible to modify the bose headunit to have an aux in by cutting a track and doing a little soldering on the tapedeck part ... I refer you to :

http://my350z.com/forum/audio-video/939 ... guide.html

not sure I'd bother though! :dry:

I did this today and I'm well chuffed with it. Hid the switch and cable in the cubby hole in the dash. I could never get a decent reception with the FM transmitters. Its not that hard to do either :)

I did this yesterday and it works a treat too. Really easy as I have no experience in this kind of thing and figured if I made a mess of it I would then have the excuse for getting a new head unit. Didnt want to do that though as it would cost a fortune. Next plan for me is to integrate the button on the iphones headphones that will allow me to start/stop/previous track/next track the iphone without having to unlock it everytime!

Thanks to the OP for the how to again

Thanks for all who replied.

The 1k quote was indeed from the dealer. I've tried the Belkin FM solution and it's not really a long term solution - so I'm going to go with hopefully buying some sort of replacement.

I'm really looking for a radio that can also have inputs for my MP3/ipod/USB stick. As I'm a a complete novice in this area any advice on what to go for - or what to avoid - would be very welcome.

Also, is it easy to wire these things up to the existing speakers ?

Thanks!

SteveBee

Fairly easy to do imo, just make sure you have all the parts you need to do the job and pick the HU you like. When i did mine, i went for the ICT adapter as it allows me to keep the steering wheel controls. The worse bit of it all is trying to fit all the wires back in and in my case, pulling it out several times as the adapter turned out to be faulty :(

Most head units now will do the ipod connection, you just need to get one with a decent bluetooth either built in or available to add on as the factory bluetooth wont work if you replace the head unit. Ive always been a fan of the alpine, but it all comes down to personal preference.

• 2 weeks later...

In my previous car (52 plate Saab 95 Aero) I had a tape converter to plug into the Ipod and also the Kingston FM Adapter. The problem with the FM adapters is that when your driving you sometimes run into an area where the frequency you are using overlaps with a local broadcast and therefore this leads to static etc and ruins the sound quality. But the difference in quality when going from the tape scenario to the FM scenario was immediately apparent with the FM giving a louder and clearer signal.

Now with my 350z, the car already had a tape converter in the cubby hole which the previous owner obviously left behind, now when I move between them the tape converter is a LOT better quality than the FM adapter.....

I am just wondering if the previous owner had bought a good quality tape converter as I think mines was bought by my girlfriend out of poundland....

But the sound quality I am currently getting thru this tape deck is absolutely superb. So either the converter is much better than my old one or the Bose tape deck is a million times better than the Saab unit.