OEM Windows Tinted?

From A to Zed

Hey,

Does anyone know if the windows are tinted at the factory on UK cars? After washing my car at the weekend I noticed an odd pattern on my near side front window.

I used an abrasive polish thinking it was a stain but no joy (sorry it was too faint to show up in a photo). Eventually I realised the windows had tinting film and the glue had started age, causing the pattern.

As usual I went in heavy handed and tried to remove the tint ...Now, I’m not one to give up easily but what a bastard of a job! Think removing old wallpaper but a 1000 times harder!

Once you've removed the film, swearing like a trooper each time it snaps, you have to remove this filthy glue and that's also a beast...

Anyway it looks good now but I'll have to do the other side soon :surrender:

I could end up with an uneven tan you see…

Has anyone else noticed this? I thought manufacturers used tinted glass rather aftermarket style film??

Matt.

Tint on the windows?? Hmm they are tinted on my 07 UK car but its got to be a factory tint (light /green/blue colour) but cant see any seperate film - the glass itself has a colour sprayed tint from the factory?

JDM I've seen does'nt have a tint this dark - in fact almost no tint at all?

Have you had yours from new? If not maybe someone has had tint film applied?? :surrender:

Hi Stan,

I'm the 3rd owner (2003 Uk car) so does indeed look like someone has tinted the windows... Maybe Snoop dog owned it for a while :lol:

I have sucessfully removed and cleaned one side and there is still a light tint 'in the glass' so I think it's back to normal.

Sadly I've only done 50% of the work, it will take a few cups of tea to tackle the other side!

Cheers,

Matt

im sure ive read somewhere that people have used to hairdryers to heat the film slightly, supposedly making it peel more easier. Im guessing it helps with the adhesives, probably wouldnt want to heat it too much. Maybe worth a try, if your taking it off anyway may make it easier.

Cheers buddy.

We all know how this will end...

1). Use hairdryer for 'man' project

2). Hairdryer starts to smell bad

3). Quickly put hairdryer away

---

4). Sunday night, the missus plugs in the hair dryer.. Nothing.

"Matthew, do you know why the hairdryer has stopped working?"

"No idea love, I never use it"

We've all done it!

Hi Stan,

I'm the 3rd owner (2003 Uk car) so does indeed look like someone has tinted the windows... Maybe Snoop dog owned it for a while :lol:

I have sucessfully removed and cleaned one side and there is still a light tint 'in the glass' so I think it's back to normal.

Sadly I've only done 50% of the work, it will take a few cups of tea to tackle the other side!

Cheers,

Matt

Cool Matt - sounds like its a striaghtforward job - if you get problems with any residue - you can use Cellulose Paint thinners on a rag(or nail varnish remover) whatever ticklels your fancy - but please check it on a smal area first and do it inthe open air - dont want to pass out on the fumes! Oh be careful you dont get any on your plastics!! :headhurt:

good luck :)