Any ideas?

ab20000

I need some help diagnosing a problem with the second car, it's a 2008 1.4ltr diesel that has only done about 6,000 miles. Every time you go over 3,000rpm the engine keeps revving without any power going to the wheels - to get back power you have to drop down below 3,000rpm again. The car clearly shouldn't be doing this - not sure if it's related but at about 2,000rpm in 3rd and 4th the car gets a judder - like it's about to stall - it never does though. The reason I ask is the garage don't seem to know what it is even though they have acknowledged the problem.

Any help appreciated.

Yes they keep going past 3,000 - seems smooth still past 3,000 just no drive. Can get over 3,000 if I’m careful and build the revs really slowly.

def sounds like the clutch, they can and do fail prematurely, has been known on zeds aswell, when you're driving have you tried slowly dipping the clutch to see if it slips high up the pedal

If I remember correctly these have a low blow turbo, sounds like a possible boost leak.

you should be able to hear that ?

does it rev cleanly when standing ?

not with low blow units, boost pressure is quite low and not as easy to hear on a diesel.

not saying it is that but it has all the symptoms.

If I remember correctly these have a low blow turbo, sounds like a possible boost leak.

you should be able to hear that ?

does it rev cleanly when standing ?

not with low blow units, boost pressure is quite low and not as easy to hear on a diesel.

not saying it is that but it has all the symptoms.

only ever dealt with boost probs on scooby's but a slightly different kettle of fish i suppose ;)

Okay so sounds like clutch or boost - if it's boost would the power just go completely though?

if there is a small boost leek it will build boost to a point and then release at a certain pressure therefor restricting power, quite different on a diesel to a petrol car.

Worth checking all the small vacuum pipes you can find to make sure they are attached.

yeah makes sense, i was thinking it would come in before 3k but it would build and lose with a leak, i would have thought about 1800 rpm would be where you would feel turbo

a clutch would give a similar feel aswell but i'm suprised a garage/dealer couldnt diagnose either of those faults ?

a clutch slipping to that extent would usually smell if its slipping

Garage said they didn't want to replace the clutch on such a new car - they can't have thought this was the problem I guess. They said they couldn't diagnose the problem but did acknowledge it - I'll just suggest turbo boost to them and see what they say.