VW transporter T4 1.9TD 1998 anyone got one? Need help

stanski

Hi folks

I have a 1998 one of these - now I know its 10 year old Vw diesel technology but surely they cant be THAT slow!! :wacko:

Does anyone else have or has driven one of these and if so are they all the same?

The turbo works ok I think and its a well looked after fully serviced van however when it gets up to about 55+ on the motorway - any hills it just runs out of steam? I know the later TDI technlogy is miles ahead but it must be able to keep up with traffic? Its done 75K from new btw.

I will give it a full service soon myself but I am new to diesel engines so its an uphill learning kerb?

I know Mike I had a 1964 Splittie and a 1980 Wedge but I can fix them its the Type 4 newer one - you would have thought by 1998 VW would have made them keep up with traffic! Strangely you can run it on bio lard even in 1998! (The Germans are years ahead!) :)

Is it electronic or mechanical fuel injection? The latter can have some sticking issues.

Also, some earlier diesel engines can have either waste gates sticking open or the turbo pipes themselves can either perish or leak leaving the thing torqueless....

Is it electronic or mechanical fuel injection? The latter can have some sticking issues.

Also, some earlier diesel engines can have either waste gates sticking open or the turbo pipes themselves can either perish or leak leaving the thing torqueless....

Thanks gents - will have a proper look after this weekends Welsh fun, worse thing is no Haynes manual for it -just a crappy yank one from Amazon.

Hard enough trying to identify the components - not familiar with Diesels?

I dont know if its electronic or manual - probably manual knowing VW - (solar powered! :headhurt: ) wll have a look through the manual I have?

Well its gonna get a proper going over as I've started to use it for work more and more now - trying to save a bit on the fuel and Zed :wacko:

Merci... :thumbs: