'Clunk' from the front of the car on uneven road surfaces.

andyvvc

The car has had a clunk from the front since i bought it. It's audible from the outside of the car too. Seem to originate from the CAT/engine bay area by the sounds of it.

A mate of mine has given it a thorough look at on the ramps at his garage. (The bloke is a TVR nut and is constantly fixing things on his Tuscan whilst working for Renault during the day). He couldn't find anything obvious with the front of the car. Suspension, anti-roll bars etc all looked tight with no play in them.

Car was in at Nissan Notts to get a key cut the other week. I asked them to check for the noise - they said it was definitely the anti roll bar links. Week later said links were replaced - at the REAR OF THE CAR!!! Doh!!!

Car is back in AGAIN to get the F R O N T of the car investigated :)

Ive given them the TSB for the known clunk issue on 03/53 cars (TSB 088a i think). Also suggested to them to check the sway-bar link ends too.

Anyone any other ideas of what might be knocking/loose...? Bit at my wits end with it now, and paranoid something will snap at speed in the future if i dont locate the source of the noise :(

Finally fixed! After replacing both REAR anti-rollbar links, they have finally tried replacing the FRONT off-side link... (funny, i said the clunk came from the front!)

Anyhoo - clunk is gone! Looks like a shiity £38 anti rollbar link end was the issue.

Paperwork from Nissan on Hayden Rd in Notts says "O/S/R anti rollbar" has been changed (rear again - must be a typo!)

Fair play to Nissan tho - the dealership have been very apologetic and haven't charged me for the anti-rollbar on the rear that didnt need to be replaced, nor the labor for it. (One of the links on the rear was an MOT issue tho so i was happy to pay for that)

So all-in its cost me £140 i think for three new anti-roll bars (lol) and labor. Not too bad for a stealership.

Thumbs up for Hayden Rd Nissan (Sunwin) in Notts.