Spark Plugs?

DiggZ

Hi Guys, bit of advice/views needed please. Wondering if anyone has had any similar issues?

Recently had a P2 service, car had covered around 51k at the time of the service. The day before the service was due my engine warning light came on, good timing I suppose. Car seemed to be driving fine but I reported the fault when booking the car in.

The diagnostic test reported a misfire on one of the cylinders but as the car seems to be driving fine we decided to reset the system and see if the fault reoccurs.

Car has now covered closer to 53k and seems to be driving fine, but as the engines are normally aspirated would it be possible if the fault was still there i.e. would the difference in performance be really noticeable if one of the cylinders wasnt firing?

Has now got me thinking about the spark plugs. Over the past year I have noticed at times the car struggles to start, engine turning over but sometimes I am having to turn the key off and wait a minute before turning the engine over again at which point it starts fine. 99% of the time the car is OK.

Simply a case of the plugs needing changing? Service desk reported these are due to be changed at 54k, is this correct as I cant find anthing in the service manual? Car is an 04 plate so Ill probably do them anyway.

Have seen sets for around 70 quid so thinking of buying and doing these myself. Anyone recently changed them with success or is it easier whipping the car into a local garage for half an hour?

Cheers in advance, Chris

Hi Guys, bit of advice/views needed please. Wondering if anyone has had any similar issues?

Recently had a P2 service, car had covered around 51k at the time of the service. The day before the service was due my engine warning light came on, good timing I suppose. Car seemed to be driving fine but I reported the fault when booking the car in.

The diagnostic test reported a misfire on one of the cylinders but as the car seems to be driving fine we decided to reset the system and see if the fault reoccurs.

Car has now covered closer to 53k and seems to be driving fine, but as the engines are normally aspirated would it be possible if the fault was still there i.e. would the difference in performance be really noticeable if one of the cylinders wasnt firing?

Has now got me thinking about the spark plugs. Over the past year I have noticed at times the car struggles to start, engine turning over but sometimes I am having to turn the key off and wait a minute before turning the engine over again at which point it starts fine. 99% of the time the car is OK.

Simply a case of the plugs needing changing? Service desk reported these are due to be changed at 54k, is this correct as I cant find anthing in the service manual? Car is an 04 plate so Ill probably do them anyway.

Have seen sets for around 70 quid so thinking of buying and doing these myself. Anyone recently changed them with success or is it easier whipping the car into a local garage for half an hour?

Cheers in advance, Chris

We would strongly advise changing at that mileage.

We have changed plugs recently on cars at around the 40k mark and the gaps on the plugs were double what they should be.

Full set of Denso Iridium plugs £55 plus £30 fitting, and we are local to you.

Interesting, mine is now on 51k. I have a P2 due at 54k miles in a few months. Phil would you say to get them changed now or wait and have it done at the service? Car seems to run fine, now CEL lights or any funny business going on.

Interesting, mine is now on 51k. I have a P2 due at 54k miles in a few months. Phil would you say to get them changed now or wait and have it done at the service? Car seems to run fine, now CEL lights or any funny business going on.

None of the cars had any running issues but felt noticeably smoother after the change, just took ours out this morning and again gaps all well over what it should be this, after 36k miles.

None of the cars had any running issues but felt noticeably smoother after the change, just took ours out this morning and again gaps all well over what it should be this, after 36k miles.

Bah, why do you have to be soooo far away, I'd run it in tomorrow if you were round the corner. Will see what the local muppets quote me for having it done, otherwise I'll leave it for the next service where Dan Perkins generally do good prices :)

Bah, why do you have to be soooo far away, I'd run it in tomorrow if you were round the corner. Will see what the local muppets quote me for having it done, otherwise I'll leave it for the next service where Dan Perkins generally do good prices :)

takes no more than one hour to do.

Guest prescience

Cheers in advance, Chris

spark-plugs.co.uk knock out denso iridium at £48.65 and NGK iridium at £55