Going to the ring how should i prep?

chris w

Alright all not been on here for a while...

anyway me and my mates are going to the ring on the 19th July till 23rd.

i plan to change the oil and filter possibly pads and brake fluid,

anything else would you lots think of?

thats before i go

cheers

chris.

As the above, make sure the car is in good shape and you will be fine. On your first few laps may want to leave the TC on as some of the faster camber changes can unsettle the car pretty quickly - will be fine but can be a bit hairy.....but thats probably why you have a Zed!

Dont do what an RS4 driver did first time I was there.....embarassingly running out of fuel half way round!

yeah thats one of the thing i forgot to ask about turning off the TC

I was going to take it easy on first few laps and leave it on .

but will have to take it off as ill get stick off my mates who dont have TC in there motors.

I leave the TC on all the time, it doesn't come on if you are driving well ;-) And if you don't have it on and get cocky on some of the corners (ie. the ones where all the spectators are) then you have a long trip home to regret...

You might want to bring a change of trousers ;-)

Take it slow for the first few laps and slowly increase your speed as you get more confident. However i would remember to keep it smooth as you will last a lot longer.

When you go there again, it should be easier, however warm up again, just to make sure there are no mishaps.

The ring is a special place indeed. One where few have been, some have failed, but some victorious and loved the feeling during it. Id cherish every moment of doing the ring, its something that you may not get to do again if it goes wrong.

:thumbs:

Regarding the traction control - once you start to push on a bit it can give you hiccups in the two carousels.....

And last time I was there it was 10 laps to the tankful! (Approx 130 miles)

Try and get someone to go round with first time, or to go round with you on a sighting lap........

Watch out for the white disk road markings on most (but not all!) corners. They guides to turn-in points and apexs!

Regarding the traction control - once you start to push on a bit it can give you hiccups in the two carousels.....

And last time I was there it was 10 laps to the tankful! (Approx 130 miles)

Try and get someone to go round with first time, or to go round with you on a sighting lap........

Watch out for the white disk road markings on most (but not all!) corners. They guides to turn-in points and apexs!

thats an awesome bit of info there cheers mate (how many miles to a full tank) was going to try and work it out but that gives me a good idea. :thumbs:

yeah think im going for 15lap ticket over two days.

as for the track ill try and get a ride out in another car first with someone who has been before which will help alot and even like you say a sighter in front of me.

what about tyres how much wear did you get off ten laps?

Tyre wear wasn't enough to notice - but I'm on those rock hard RE040 'Stones!! And may be I'm too slow.........

At one time I'd picked up so much rubber off-line that the tyres were bigger than when I started!!

The Z was built for it - Enjoy!

And dont forget a trip report!

I would leave the traction control on until you know where all the dodgy corners are (e.g Adenauer Forst, Briedshceid etc.), I think this might take more than 15 laps. If it's wet, just leave it on.

Didn't notice any undue wear on my Falkens, but only did 8 laps. A little bit of brake fade maybe after 2 consecutive laps, but perhaps I was just braking too much!

• 2 weeks later...

It's me third time, so prep has involved a service + replace two rear tyres with some fresh Michelin PS2s (400 quid, ouch!).

We stay quite far from the track in Bad Munstereiffel... which means we have an awesome drive through the forests / mountains to get to/from the track - probably the best bit!

I still cack myself when I go through the gates, but just remember to keep to the right to let people past, indicate to let them, because about half of the cars will be faster, and half will be slower. Don't overtake on bends. But the best advice for a noob is this: if you see spectators, slow down, because they are at a point where accidents happen! The more spectators, the more risk, so don't show off otherwise you'll be in the wall and everyone will be laughing at ya!

Watch out for the Viper and the White M5 Ring Taxis - get out of the way of them they are fooking awesome. If you are lucky, you'll be behind one for a bit and see them drift round corners whilst talking to all the passengers - who all look green with motion sickness!

Also, you'll be surprised by the amount of northern monkeys like me giving it "ey oop" and "fookin ell".