Ideas on Amps or have I missed a trick?!!

haylabamba

Hi All,

In my continuing quest to spend all my money on bits for the Zed, I have just completed fitting a new head unit (Kenwood DNX 5220BT) front door speakers and tweeters (Focal) and rear parking cam (Alpine), also Dynamat to the doors and an Ipod lead.

Love all the individual bits but...............

Couple of issues:-

1. Currently running the front speakers direct from the head unit as I had to bypass the Bose amp to get it to work. Any ideas why?

2. Thinking of adding a 2 channel amp to replace the existing and disconnecting the rear speakers. I think the sound may end up being better that way. Any thoughts and recommendations on amps appreciated.

Richard

1. BOSE amp known for having dodgy front left channel. Could be any number of reasons.

2. Depends how much you want to spend / how far you want to go. Anything from Audison / Genesis / JL Audio is likely to be very good.

2. Thinking of adding a 2 channel amp to replace the existing and disconnecting the rear speakers. I think the sound may end up being better that way. Any thoughts and recommendations on amps appreciated.

Richard - I'd think about adding a four channel - use two channels to run the fronts and bridge the other two to run a replacement sub.

Any sub that's £100+ aftermarket will be better than the bose IMO, or failing that now you have some decent front speakers even crossing over the bose sub at a lower frequency would help matters no end!

More than likey the speakers sounded much better using the Kenwood amp than it would have sounded using the built in BOSE one. They probably tried it with the BOSE one realised how poor it is and tried it direct to the head unit.

As said it all comes down to money. Getting a 4 channel is a good recommendation. You could easily get one installed into your glovebox, and put a aftermarket 10" sub into the stock location with it dynamated to seal it up (note this is not the same as building a box but a good start. You could also fibreglass on top of the dynamat to make a very good sealed box ( But this could cause issues if you came to need to do maintenance on the subframe etc.)

Looking at the boxes that are available in the US they look like fibreglass copies of the standard box. One option would be to reinforce/seal the current box and use that.