Proper mounting of midbass drivers has transformed my system

garry

So finally got the bass drivers in my front 3-way dynaudio system properly mounted into the doors - effecitvely a tube right back from the driver into the door cavity itself. All Dynamatted up too to make a nice sealed box inside the door.

The first thing I should say is the difference is absolutely amazing! I knew it would be better but I'm absolutely stunned by the just how much better it is! Definition of the midbass has obviously improved drastically but the improvement on staging and imaging is just as obvious.

I was concerned when I had the system installed at first as it sounded nowhere near as good as the same kit in my mk V golf GTI, but now it's even better. No need for use of a sub at all except when the car is moving when the background noisefloor increases significantly.

Next job - reduce the noisefloor!

I know you will think I'm mad, but the crappy Bose sub in mine sounded 10x better when I sound deadened the rear cubby area. Would have made an even bigger difference if I had put something decent in there ;)

It basically involves buying a roll of Dynamat Xtreme, and then removing the BOSE sub from behind the seat. You will then see an enclosure that has holes all over the place. Use the Dynamat to seal those holes and cover the enclosure - voila, a sealed box that is also sound deadened. :)

It basically involves buying a roll of Dynamat Xtreme, and then removing the BOSE sub from behind the seat. You will then see an enclosure that has holes all over the place. Use the Dynamat to seal those holes and cover the enclosure - voila, a sealed box that is also sound deadened. :)

Is is easy to remove the sub and do this then ? any hints please or pics :D

This is what mine looked like after a little bit of work, was eventually all coverd inside where the sub lives. I went a bit further than just removing the sub. You can actually remove all the interior plastics behind the seats and in the boot. I then covered it all in Second Skin.

IMG_6205_thumb.jpg

Guides can be found around the net for how to remove the plastics, I'll try and dig them out later.

awesome, will wait and see if you can find the info on the removal of the plastic trim.

To be honest i think once you start taking it apart it is surpising what comes off it is just the starting point. I broke a few clips when removing some trim last week for another 2 min job of mine but when i went to the stealers they charged me £1.29 ish for each clip so i will have to be a little more carefull when pulling.

awesome, will wait and see if you can find the info on the removal of the plastic trim.

To be honest i think once you start taking it apart it is surpising what comes off it is just the starting point. I broke a few clips when removing some trim last week for another 2 min job of mine but when i went to the stealers they charged me £1.29 ish for each clip so i will have to be a little more carefull when pulling.

Depending what type of clip it is, you can buy bags of them off eBay for a few £ or even Halfords have some. ;)