Help - New Clutch nightmare!

IanS

Hi everyone, so today was the day the new clutch and flywheel went on.

Collected it tonight - new flywheel brilliant, loving the improvement, then disaster. Pulling away from low revs in any gear [e.g. 3rd at 30 mph] the clutch sounds like its rattling itself to bits! Basically like two pieces of metal are being ground together until the revs get above 2,500 and it dissapears.

Now I know the release bearing is a common cause for things like this, but this is really loud. Spoke to the garage and they suggested it needed bedding in :angry: to be fair they are a nice bunch of guys so will be back to see them tomorrow morning first thing.

Does anyone know what needs to be done to fix the problem as I dont want the garage to have the car for days on end figuring it out.

Any help much appreciated!

Hi everyone, so today was the day the new clutch and flywheel went on.

Collected it tonight - new flywheel brilliant, loving the improvement, then disaster. Pulling away from low revs in any gear [e.g. 3rd at 30 mph] the clutch sounds like its rattling itself to bits! Basically like two pieces of metal are being ground together until the revs get above 2,500 and it dissapears.

Now I know the release bearing is a common cause for things like this, but this is really loud. Spoke to the garage and they suggested it needed bedding in :angry: to be fair they are a nice bunch of guys so will be back to see them tomorrow morning first thing.

Does anyone know what needs to be done to fix the problem as I dont want the garage to have the car for days on end figuring it out.

Any help much appreciated!

which clutch have you fitted.

Its one from you Phil - with the Nismo exhaust last month. Was waiting to get them all on before doing a write up.

Flywheel is ACT ProStreet

The symptoms you describe are fairly normal for a lightened flywheel.

It will bed in after about 500 miles but keep the revs down for that period.

We have found the ACT worse than the JWT so don't supply these anymore but having said that all lightened units will increase the noise level and it will always be there.

The standard flywheel is a dual mass unit and its the weight that dampens the noise.

Thanks for the tip Phil - is their any adjustment that can be made as I was expecting more noise accross the rev range but not just at low revs?

Generally he noise will be worse below 2500 revs and above 5800 revs, nothing you can do I'm afraid you will get used to it, and will rduce a little once bedded in, the trick is not to let the revs drop below 2000 in the higher gears 3,4,5 and 6

Ian - sent you an email too - we're on vacation for a few days, but just logged in to check some messages and wanted to reply here as well.

The stock flywheel is a dual mass setup - the weight that it has, acts as a damper for such noise. Any lightweight flywheel, regardless of the manufacturer, makes this noise to some degree. No amount of break in makes it any quiter, it is just a natural by product of reducing the flywheel weight. From NISMO, to ACT, to JWT/Fidanza (same unit), they all make this noise. The one piece ones, such as NISMO and ACT, tend to actually be a touch quiter than the 2 piece units, as the steel is a bit denser of a metal than aluminum used in the 2 piece units. But, they all make the noise. We have sold every single lightweight flywheel and clutch combo I can think of at this point, from JWT/Fidanza (JWT is just a Fidanza in a different box), Spec, Clutchmasters, ACT, NISMO, JUN. They all make the same type of noises. The integrated clutch-flywheels (those where the flywheel is bolted to the clutch, such as Carbonetics, Cusco, OS Giken, etc) are slightly louder because they also tend to use aluminum pressure plate covers, which further resonate these frequencies a bit). For example, I have the OS Giken single disk unit in my car, which has an integrated flywheel, and it is quite loud at these exact rpms. But the performance more than makes up for it :)

In all, nothing to worry about - no harm is being done, and as long as it was properly fitted and the flywheel attached per the factory service manual specs for the bolts, you'll be good to go. Any questions, I will be back in the office Tuesday, so let me know, or pm me here.

Thanks!

Phil - Adam thanks for the quick feedback, much appreciated.

I had to do a long drive last night [130 miles] most on the motorway. When I parked up, and the engine was idling out of gear, there was a distinct loose rattling coming from the clutch/flywheel. It hadn't done this before.

Is this also normal for the flywheel or is there any chance there may be too much movement? With your technical expertise want to check that its been fitted properly.

Anyone round London got a flywheel that I could compare notes?!

Thanks guys, will report when I have a few more miles under the belt. Car just sits feeling sorry for itself during the week, roll on the weekend!

I know this may sound strange but you will get to like the noise, sort of puposefull, you should hear our R32 GTR, bags of spanners spring to mind.

Phil - Adam thanks for the quick feedback, much appreciated.

I had to do a long drive last night [130 miles] most on the motorway. When I parked up, and the engine was idling out of gear, there was a distinct loose rattling coming from the clutch/flywheel. It hadn't done this before.

Is this also normal for the flywheel or is there any chance there may be too much movement? With your technical expertise want to check that its been fitted properly.

Anyone round London got a flywheel that I could compare notes?!

Hi Ian,

I have had the ACT flywheel fitted as well - same place as well - your car was in the weekend after mine!

I dont know about 'purposeful' but the 'rattling' sound is normal when iddling - sounds very agricultural - like a Land Rover! I have had a few issues with the clutch slipping but that is being looked at and not likely to be traced back to the flywheel. Im in Surrey just off the M25 if that is any help to you.

G