Highland Fling

Dan

Well as it happened this bank holiday worked out to be my weekend off on the staff rota.

I hadn't planned anything but for a while I had this yearning to do John O' Groats and back, just for the hell of it ( I did it years ago in a Rover 3500 V8 SD1 and loved it back then ).

The missus said I could go, as long as I took the kids and the Dogs because she was working.

So that ruled out taking anything sporty, and in the end I decided to take a Tino...

Well, aside from the vehicle being absolutely crap the trip was fantastic.

The roads up there are fantastic, and so free from traffic. It really is driving heaven.

And it's so far north that it never goes dark. I arrived at John O' Groats at 4.15 in the morning and could comfortably drive with the lights off.

It's 494.7 miles from my house, and I took 8 hours 15 minutes to get there, including petrol stops.

Thats 59.96 mph average in a Tino :-)

In typical lunatic fashion we had a mad hour on a beach at Dunnet Bay which was beautiful and then drove back via a different route...

I arrived home at 3pm in the afternoon, by which point I had been awake since 7.30am the previous day.

I'll tell you what, it was fantastic.

Long drives like that are good for the soul, although maybe not in a Tino.

Lewis loved it, Gemma was bored and slept most of the way through it.

I have decided the next time I have the weekend off I'm going to take the Z4 or a 350z and just take Lewis and a small tent so we can

have a sleep somewhere, make a weekend of it and come back down the west coast.

Superb, open roads and no traffic.

Any petrol head would love it.

Sounds like a great way to spend 24 hours! :thumbs:

Reminds me of the days of getting up at 4am to travel up to a show, and then spending the day preparing the car for judging before going for a drive in the evening, with more of the same the next day. Just with a very different scenery!

Its just so nice to be able to drive without gridlocked roads. Add to that great scenery and it doesnt get much better :D

Very true, just a bloody shame I was in a Tino :teeth:

Can't wait to do it again, but in something decent next time.