Fairlady Z shock absorber compatibility

FairladyLexi

Hi guys,

My Fairlady Z is in need of new front shocks. However, I just learnt that the JDM models apparently have a firmer suspension setup versus the UK ones. I'm not very clued up on suspension parts, so my query is whether I can replace the shocks with UK-spec ones. I presume the mounts are all the same and that the shock stiffness is the only difference?

For example, would these Tein EnduraPro shocks be compatible with my car? She's also got huge 19-inch Work wheels fitted (245/35 R19 at the front) so I'm not sure if that affects anything.

I've searched for the original part numbers (found via the EPC-Data website, super useful for JDM Zs) and haven't had much luck finding equivalent parts from UK/European retailers. I'd rather not have to import OEM ones from Japan, given the price and shipment hassle!

If I'm understanding suspension design correctly, would fitting UK-spec shocks simply make the ride a bit softer? That would probably be a good thing, given I live in London and the roads here are horrendous! Especially with my skinny tyres...

Thanks,

Lexi

So the dodgy near-side shock is driving me mad, it's making horrendous screeching with movement. Had it checked by my mechanic last night and it's safe, just annoying. Grease hasn't helped. I did lots of reading and I'm pretty certain the shocks will fit with no issues, the only difference between UK and JDM OEM is that the latter's shocks are a bit stiffer.

I've ordered Tein EnduraPro Plus (the adjustable version) for both fronts and will be getting them fitted next Saturday. I'll report back next weekend in case anyone is interested or has a similar query!

I went with the adjustable ones because they'll allow me to keep the ride a bit softer for London, then make them firmer for when I eventually move out of the city!

5 hours ago, rodgeevans said:

Was going to say I would have a used set in a few weeks as taking my std JDM ones off for coilovers, good luck with the teins

Thank you! I think I'd rather put new ones in so they last as long as possible, so it's all good. 😇

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/01/2023 at 10:53, FairladyLexi said:

I'm pretty certain the shocks will fit with no issues, the only difference between UK and JDM OEM is that the latter's shocks are a bit stiffer.

And the track package even stiffer than that.