Dials stopped working and TC, ABS & SC lights on after new head unit install, Sort of Solved

Loki

Cheers for reading.

So over the last couple of days I've been refitting a new stereo after the car developed another squeak in the centre console after the original install and I wanted to fit the wired mic for hands free calls. There is also a cig lighter housing from the previous owner used to power the charger of a aftermarket Sat Nav, not sure if it's wired to the lighter port in the dash of if it's connected to stereo, but It did have a earth wire attached to the frame. I mention this because I'm thinking maybe I've blown a fuse because it wasn't earthed when I tested, though the light on the charger does work when the car switched on now I've wired it in properly.

Anyway, as the title says, I tested the head unit before screwing everything back together and nothing, the stereo didn't switch on, that's when I noticed the dash, the petrol gauge was reading empty and the light was on, even though there's over half a tank, also the ABS, traction control and stability control lights where on, but not the engine management which should have been, since I've just fitted a new exhaust and the Cats must be knackered because the light came on the day after (Friday) the install.

I tried disconnecting the battery and connecting it again (it works with computers so why not try) but the lights remained on, so I though I'd take a trip round the block to see if they'd turn themselves off or if there was a real problem with then, that's when I noticed the dials weren't working either, no rev's, no speedo, not even the multi gauge worked (though the battery and oil pressure gauges do give a reading) but it did light up and display something but I couldn't select any options. 

I'm hoping it's just a blown fuse but that's about the limit of understanding of these type of things, has anyone else had this happen to them and how did you go about fixing it? 

Thanks in advance for any help or advice, it's greatly appreciated

Edited by Loki

Solved it, the AC module wasn't connected, plugged that back in and the dash is working again, even the engine management lights back on, never been so glad to see that!

Stereo still doesn't work though, ordered a new harness loom because I'd snipped the old one back so they'd take up less room but must have messed up, I cut them back because of all the wires and connecting blocks stuffed behind the head unit which I'm sure is the source of the original squeak I was trying to fix in the first place

• Loki changed the title to Dials stopped working and TC, ABS & SC lights on after new head unit install, Sort of Solved