Nismo Mk2 Alloy Refurb - Volvo 492

Scully

This is just a reference post for anyone, it may be useful to someone.

First of all excuse any dirt, this isn't a show and shine post 🤙

So I started with slight curb rash on 1 alloy, just on the very rim and not into any paint.

IMG_20200918_142253.jpg.d29eee3cc4226e7e1d42711cc7a06ed5.jpg

IMG_20200918_142320.jpg.45c15b539cd52f48953046f9eb947dbd.jpg

I took the wheel to Whoopsie Wheel Fix It in Enfield who were great. It was explained that in an ideal scenario they would just cut the damage out, key back the whole wheel and lacquer it all. The problems come with the heat from baking the OEM lacquer, as the OEM clear might not be able to handle heat again after the factory and can discolour, turning yellow slightly, in turn un-matching the colour from the other 3 wheels. In which case they would need to repaint 2 wheels (same side at least) to keep the wheels matching.

This is where the problem is... Paint Codes

There are none anywhere, I even asked Nissan and they "Do not have paint codes for alloys". I did find one post on another site saying that a Volvo paint was 98% a match but there were no pictures, so I ordered a touch up pen from Volvo to test.

Whilst waiting for the paint, Whoopsie got in touch and said that the alloy took the extra bake and is ready to pick up! WIN

So if its just the rim you are repairing, you can probably get away with just cutting and clear 👍

After the refurb... a bit dusty sorry.

PXL_20210406_092356760.jpg.fef97f51aea920608a7045db93908595.jpg

Now to the Volvo paint - it's Savile Grey 492

I painted a plane part of the box and cleared it, just so I could compare it to the Nissan paint and here's the comparison.

PXL_20210406_091303798.jpg.9f6114d36e7a903d96f37ccf731c9a79.jpg

IMO it's such a close match that not even the top Nismo fanBOi would be able to tell. If you zoom in you can see that the Volvo metallic flakes are quite a bit bigger making it more sparkly. If I had to repaint I'd be more than happy, whether its possible to ask for smaller flakes is for someone else to discover. Also keep in mind different batches of the same paint can differ slightly, mines an 18 plate for reference.

TLDR

Your alloys can probably take the heat of another visit to an oven if just cutting damage out and clear coating.

Volvo 492 paint match's the Nismo Mk2's alloy's paint.

Whoopsie Wheel Fix It are spot on and very active on Instagram, check them out - £80+VAT a wheel for cutting and clear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1