Tuning/mods

Thethorne

Hi everyone I used to own a 350z but only for about 3 months. Anyway long story short I bought that exact same car back. I’m a professional engine builder with access to all sorts of machines and tools. My car is a 2006 rev up model and I’m looking to try get a little more from it. Was hoping I could pick your brains as to the best mods to try and save a little money trial and error. My plans are as follows 

pre 06 upper and lower plenum and will be machining the front two runners and I may even put them on the flow bench and test them properly. This should give me some gains if I’ve read things right. This will then be matched to the intake manifold. 
75mm throttle body matched to the plenum. 
5/16 plenum spacer. 

full 3inch cold air intake insulated with gold reflective tape. 
Resonated decats. 

Already have a ark grip exhaust. 

can anyone think of any other simple breathing mods I can do that actually give gains before I get an uprev. 

thanks thethorne 

I would speak with @ZMANALEX he built a 600bhp+ monster 350z, he knows more about these cars than most. I think I remember seeing someone having a go at ITBs too somewhere. 

I would say though depends on your budget, NA power builds are notoriously expensive on 350z's and if you are chasing numbers FI is the way to go usually a supercharger build. In terms of breathing, the generally accepted view again if chasing numbers is that the decent drop in panel filter is better than any CAI as the box is so well insulated from the heat under bonnet. 

You will also want to look at mapping, good page here https://h-dev.co.uk/350z-and-370z-uprev-remapping/

• Like 1

Well first thing I would do is go down to a dyno and get some runs on the car and know where you are right now. At least you know how far you need to go and some people on here who know a lot more than me can advise if this is doable from where you are now.

It’s certainly doable just depends how far you want to go. 300whp would be around 330 flywheel hp so not even 100hp per litre. But I don’t want to go mad taking heads off and cam swaps just fettle what’s easily accessible and see what I can get from it. More just for fun really. 

It's certainly doable, as long as you throw the cash at it, anything is doable. But do check where you are and what you need to get to. There is a thread on the forum somewhere showing loads of members posting up the post mods/remap dyno readout, plenty with a thousands thrown at them don't reach 330bhp.  

Edited by coldel
  • Thanks 1