Can You Hard Wire A Tom Tom Sat Nav Into The Dash???

DannyH

Hi All,

I have a tom tom sat nav and was just wondering if anyone had hard wired theres into the dash, if so has anyone got a detailed description on how to do this, i have a description on how to remove the central part of the dash to get to things but have no idea about wiring or how to do it, all answers or suggestions would be great

Thanks

Danny

I have a 910 sat in the cubby hole on a USB sync cradle - which allows the power cable to be used and fits neatly in the space.

Whilst I haven't yet done it, the plan is to run the 12v cable behind the dash and connect it to the rear of the 12v socket in the passenger footwell.

Danny: As you already know how to take the central dash out, its just a case of finding a 12v supply that runs off the ignition. Best place for this is to tap into the ciggy lighters. If you have a UK car then there is one handily in the passenger footwell, so all you need to is get the power cable down there and splice in the wires. I cant remember what the connectors are called but you can get some that take a wire in each side and bites down on them bridging it. You need a pair of these to tap the wires in. Put the dash back together and you're good to go :)

Danny: As you already know how to take the central dash out, its just a case of finding a 12v supply that runs off the ignition. Best place for this is to tap into the ciggy lighters. If you have a UK car then there is one handily in the passenger footwell, so all you need to is get the power cable down there and splice in the wires. I cant remember what the connectors are called but you can get some that take a wire in each side and bites down on them bridging it. You need a pair of these to tap the wires in. Put the dash back together and you're good to go :)

You can also power it from the headunit :thumbs:

You can also power it from the headunit :thumbs:

I did think about that but didnt know how much power it would draw so thought it best to take it from the ciggy lighter outlet. Would be really easy to power it from the HU, just pop the centre dash out and tap into the wires there. Although iirc there is no earth in the standard wiring for the HU (its provided through the aerial amp) so best to earth it to the chasis :thumbs: