Radio with Bluetooth - Connect Steering Wheel Phone Button?

Edward

Hi, I've just got a new (2008) 350Z GT.

I want to change the standard radion to a Clarion or Pioneer double unit with sat nav and bluetooth for making and receiving calls.

I've seen an adapter to connect the steering wheel controls to the radio - does this adapter work with the phone controls?

Thanks

Edward.

Hi, I've just got a new (2008) 350Z GT.

I want to change the standard radion to a Clarion or Pioneer double unit with sat nav and bluetooth for making and receiving calls.

I've seen an adapter to connect the steering wheel controls to the radio - does this adapter work with the phone controls?

Thanks

Edward.

Hi, welcome to the site. :thumbs:

I wouldn't expect the steering wheel controls to work with the phone. Headunit controls if you are lucky. ;)

I would suspect that there will be a way to retain all the functionality of the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head unit, including the bluetooth phone controls.

It will be a case of ensuring you have the right head unit, and a suitable cable adaptor to feed said head unit with all the controls.

I am currently researching this myself as a decent aftermarket dvd/tv/nav unit would be nice, but also want to retain the functionality of the steering wheel as you do.

My Altea appears on the face of it to have EXACTLY the same software controling a bluetooth interface to my phone as the Z, even down to the voice. So I suspect there will be a manufacturer out there somewhere that has made the necessary harness to acheive this with aftermarket head units.

I would suspect that there will be a way to retain all the functionality of the steering wheel controls with an aftermarket head unit, including the bluetooth phone controls.

It will be a case of ensuring you have the right head unit, and a suitable cable adaptor to feed said head unit with all the controls.

I am currently researching this myself as a decent aftermarket dvd/tv/nav unit would be nice, but also want to retain the functionality of the steering wheel as you do.

The phone bit can't be done without pulling the switch apart and re-wiring it and the headunit.

I've managed to keep my stereo controls, and set the speak button up to do the source control on the headunit. With the microphone and connection being closed down with the other button, there is no easy way of making it work. :) Don't forget that aftermarket units don't tend to have the bluetooth unit hard coded into the unit - they are treated as an auxiliary input. :)

I think that is more the point Chris. The Sound Gallery looked at mine for a fair while and came up with it needing opening up and re-wiring to do it. They certainly couldn't find anything made out there that controlled the phone as well. :dry:

I hope someone does find a way though! :thumbs: Good luck with PAC. :)

Hmm perhaps the in car PC is the way forward? Wiring the phone wires to ausb input and having that control the phone via bluetooth.

Certainly possible, but it would seem a massively long way round and bit of a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

The car has a blutooth device, the radio has bluetooth control, and the steering wheel has buttons to control it. Exactly how hard can it be for an audio manufacturer? :wacko:

At the moment I don't think its possible. Its possible to get the steering controls to work the new head unit easy enough using PAC etc but to get the call buttons to actually operate a bluetooth module is a bit tricker.

Easy(ish) to actually build if you have the electronics skills as you just need a little device looking for a certain voltage off the buttons and then trigger a remote accept/decline button press.