Hot oil smell through vents

spectron

Hi all, I've looked around and can't find a similar thread so hopefully someone might be able to tell where to at least start looking.

On my daily commute (never giving it the beans) when I'm stuck in traffic I can often get the smell of hot oil coming through the vents. I've checked the oil levels and it's dropped by about 250ml in the last 1000miles.

I assume if I was burning it, the smell would not come through the vents so I'm guessing a leak somewhere dropping onto a hot engine.

Anyone have an idea where to start looking and where might be the most common gaskets / areas to look? 

2004 DE on 112000 miles

Cheers

Edited by spectron

If indeed you do have an external oil leak I would be looking at the cam cover gaskets.

if these were leaking, the engine oil would drop onto the exhaust manifold.

However, it may just be the fumes from other vehicles as you say that it is only when stuck in traffic.

Have you tried adjusting your heater, air con. controls when this happens?

1 hour ago, ZMANALEX said:

However, it may just be the fumes from other vehicles as you say that it is only when stuck in traffic.

Have you tried adjusting your heater, air con. controls when this happens?

Fumes from other vehicles may be a point I could eliminate by just Idling in a car park I suppose & it's certainly worth messing with the controls when it happens to further try to isolate things. Cheers