Swap headlight - HID to non-HID

marzman

Hi folks...

My drivers side headlight bulb went out a while ago, and i've only just got the time to fix it now (after 6 weeks!).

Secondly, the same headlight is very cloudy on the inside - its not moisture, the clear plastic has gone weird!

So, i've bought a new headlight off eBay, which is a non-HID unit. However, now i've just taken my headlight off tonight and i can see that its got the HID ballast on the bottom of it, so i must have HID headlights...

My question is, can i retrofit the HID gubbins (technical term) from my current headlight onto the new non-HID unit?

If not, then i'll have to do the old 'oven-trick' and swap the clear plastic lenses - which i dont fancy!

Cheers

Chris.

Ok, cancel all that!!

Having taken the back off the current headlight, i can see that the import people butchered the headlight and bypassed the HID unit - and bunged an H7 in there!

Perfect for what i want!!

So if anyone wants a HID headlight - gimme a shout!

Secondly, the same headlight is very cloudy on the inside - its not moisture, the clear plastic has gone weird!

With the classic 350 headlight hazzing, this Turbo Wax headlight restoration system is the bees knees. It lasts for months and monts as apposed to the likes of the Meg's Plastix, that will generally only last 2 weeks.

http://www.turbowax.com/cat/head-light-restoration/

With the classic 350 headlight hazzing, this Turbo Wax headlight restoration system is the bees knees. It lasts for months and monts as apposed to the likes of the Meg's Plastix, that will generally only last 2 weeks.

http://www.turbowax.com/cat/head-light-restoration/

Think mine is starting to haze. Is it just a case of the lense needs a polish with some proper plastic polish (i.e. proper abrasive, not a cleaner polish)? Might try and take a pic later :thumbs:

Chris, seriously give the Turbo Wax kit a try, it really works so well. It sure will get rid on hazzing. The hazzing, that we're referring to is on the outside of the headlight lenses and it looks kind of patchy. :yuck:

Most other plastic type products I've tried from most other popular brands, just unfortunately don't seem to last more than a week.

Sorry marzman, back on topic now. ;)

Chris, seriously give the Turbo Wax kit a try, it really works so well. It sure will get rid on hazzing. The hazzing, that we're referring to is on the outside of the headlight lenses and it looks kind of patchy. :yuck:

Most other plastic type products I've tried from most other popular brands, just unfortunately don't seem to last more than a week.

Sorry marzman, back on topic now. ;)

Interesting to know cheers :thumbs:

I have some megs stuff (#10 & #7) at my old dears house that I used to get rid of a few scratches that I had on my R6 headlight after some fine sanding it polished it down to an excellent finish. Its got some proper cut, not your usual ScratchX/PlastX type stuff :thumbs: