Will 20 inch wheels hammer the handling?

Razza

So fitting 19 " nismo wheels will be an improvement because even though they are bigger, they are 4-5LB lighter than the standard GT4 wheels? ;)

Yes.....and no, its not quite that simple, although the wheel is lighter the rotating mass is further from the hub, so it affects the handling, acceleration and braking performance.

I know it is the extreme but ever notice that F1 cars and karts dont have low profile tyres (but they dont have much suspension travel either and much of this movement comes from the tyre).

Touring cars on the other hand have fairly low profile tyres but on *very* lightweight magnesium rims, try finding these in 20"s though.......

If you want performance stick with the 18's, for looks go bigger. If you want both, have both and swap them for track days, trying to compromise is exactly that, a compromise.

+1 and well put.. :thumbs:

BTW; do you live at your own circuit? Looks like a tyrewall in the background? :envy: or are they haybales?

So fitting 19 " nismo wheels will be an improvement because even though they are bigger, they are 4-5LB lighter than the standard GT4 wheels? ;)

Yes.....and no, its not quite that simple, although the wheel is lighter the rotating mass is further from the hub, so it affects the handling, acceleration and braking performance.

I know it is the extreme but ever notice that F1 cars and karts dont have low profile tyres (but they dont have much suspension travel either and much of this movement comes from the tyre).

Touring cars on the other hand have fairly low profile tyres but on *very* lightweight magnesium rims, try finding these in 20"s though.......

If you want performance stick with the 18's, for looks go bigger. If you want both, have both and swap them for track days, trying to compromise is exactly that, a compromise.

+1 and well put.. :thumbs:

BTW; do you live at your own circuit? Looks like a tyrewall in the background? :envy: or are they haybales?

That's the Hethel Test Track.... :thumbs:

my 20s are heavier than the standard rays but the handling is superb. probably more to do with a decent set of matched tyres and the eibach springs, but i cant fault it. ride doesn't feel any different. its the same overall diameter as the original wheels/tyres so the only difference should be sidewall flex and the width of them.

But the point is lighter wheels will improve handling, less weight means less stress on the suspension, less gyro effect so quicker turn in etc.

When I fitted 19's to my Zed they were heavier and the ride and handling was noticeably worse when the car was pushed. Normal driving was fine. I had to compensate by upgrading springs and dampers, so the overall gain was purely cosmetic.

maybe so, but on the road...hardly going to be that noticeable.

my 20s are heavier than the standard rays but the handling is superb. probably more to do with a decent set of matched tyres and the eibach springs, but i cant fault it. ride doesn't feel any different. its the same overall diameter as the original wheels/tyres so the only difference should be sidewall flex and the width of them.

But the point is lighter wheels will improve handling, less weight means less stress on the suspension, less gyro effect so quicker turn in etc.

When I fitted 19's to my Zed they were heavier and the ride and handling was noticeably worse when the car was pushed. Normal driving was fine. I had to compensate by upgrading springs and dampers, so the overall gain was purely cosmetic.

maybe so, but on the road...hardly going to be that noticeable.

Depends how hard you drive. I could tell. I upgraded the springs and dampers staright away I was so dissapointed with the ride and handling.