Jump to content
wizard

Crank Pulley Upgrade for Supercharger

Recommended Posts

Wanted to gets some thoughts from those who either have or are considering upgrading their crank pulley in order to extract more power from their superchargers.

 

Stock DE crank pulley: 5.75”

Fluidamper crank pulley: 6.125

ATI crank pulley: 6.61”

 

Simply put the larger the crank pulley and the smaller the supercharger pulley the faster you will spin the blower and hence the more power you will produce. Using calculations from Vortech’s impeller calculator, upgrading crank pulley you would still be within the blowers RPM limit.

 

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plan to run my fluidamper, 3.12 pulley and 32/28 cog pulleys on my v3 sci vortech (non rev-up), it should only just over spin the blower if i remember right, but the time it does this for/ the chance i actually hit the increased rev limit (7000rpm probably) will be so small it shouldn't do any damage, if maintained well. 53,000 is the max speed of the V2 SCi (couldnt find the V3 data atm.) and the speed it would go to on my setup is around 56,000 i think.

 

Seen a few post from america saying it should be ok to over spin the blower slightly as belt slip and acutally hitting the rev limiter are factors to consider.

 

Edited by evilscorp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then it's either 928 impellar and 60,000 rpm limit or big boy V7 blowers...... need to actually get round to building my spare engine first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, evilscorp said:

Plan to run my fluidamper, 3.12 pulley and 32/28 cog pulleys on my v3 sci vortech (non rev-up), it should only just over spin the blower if i remember right, but the time it does this for/ the chance i actually hit the increased rev limit (7000rpm probably) will be so small it shouldn't do any damage, if maintained well. 53,000 is the max speed of the V2 SCi (couldnt find the V3 data atm.) and the speed it would go to on my setup is around 56,000 i think.

 

Seen a few post from america saying it should be ok to over spin the blower slightly as belt slip and acutally hitting the rev limiter are factors to consider.

 

Have a play around with Vortech’s impeller calculator. You’ll find that it’s actually quite tricky to get close to the impeller limit: https://vortechsuperchargers.com/pages/impeller-speed-calculator

 

32/28, ATIdamper, 2.87” pulley, 7200Redline = 52,380rpm

 

928 state that it should be fine to overspin blower by a few thousand rpm.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Would the extra rpm that the alternator & power steering pump would see not be an issue to consider also?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, scobie140 said:

Would the extra rpm that the alternator & power steering pump would see not be an issue to consider also?

Perhaps - the US forums don't seem to think it causes any issues. Some mentioned impact to the A/C

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, scobie140 said:

Would the extra rpm that the alternator & power steering pump would see not be an issue to consider also?

Only a problem if you raise the Rev limit, but as above, not mentioned as a problem much or at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wizard said:

Have a play around with Vortech’s impeller calculator. You’ll find that it’s actually quite tricky to get close to the impeller limit: https://vortechsuperchargers.com/pages/impeller-speed-calculator

 

32/28, ATIdamper, 2.87” pulley, 7200Redline = 52,380rpm

 

928 state that it should be fine to overspin blower by a few thousand rpm.

Err you have the cogs the wrong way round in the calculator that would defo blow up the blower 68000 rpm lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, evilscorp said:

Err you have the cogs the wrong way round in the calculator that would defo blow up the blower 68000 rpm lol

Sorry what do you mean, i’m confused. How many teeth does your supercharger cog pulley and jackshaft pulley have?

 

edit -

ah yes you’re quite right, just checked supercharger 28, jackshaft 32.

Edited by wizard
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×