Eeeek... Dissolving engine

rfrancsics

Hi All!!

Much to my horror this morning, after lifting the bonnet to re-fill the washer bottle, I found all the alloy surfaces - the block, plenum, throttle body etc plus quite a few of the large bolts that hold various brackets to be covered in a thick white crust that I can only assume to be salt related.

This is despite having pootled about for almost all of the winter months in a VW Bora tdi to avoid the winter salting of the roads.

I can only assume a fine salty mist must have entered to engine bay on the very rare occasions that the Zed was used causing corrosion on all unprotected surfaces. :scare:

(can't seem to transfer photos from my phone to this computer)

Any ideas for its removal/prevention/protection would be much appreciated

Richard

Hi All!!

Much to my horror this morning, after lifting the bonnet to re-fill the washer bottle, I found all the alloy surfaces - the block, plenum, throttle body etc plus quite a few of the large bolts that hold various brackets to be covered in a thick white crust that I can only assume to be salt related.

This is despite having pootled about for almost all of the winter months in a VW Bora tdi to avoid the winter salting of the roads.

I can only assume a fine salty mist must have entered to engine bay on the very rare occasions that the Zed was used causing corrosion on all unprotected surfaces. :scare:

(can't seem to transfer photos from my phone to this computer)

Any ideas for its removal/prevention/protection would be much appreciated

Richard

good old fresh water i suspect will be a good idea, just to wash it off, and possibly a good coating of a popular brand of water repelent oil bassed spray ;).

this i do on the ILB on station at sheerness RNLI. im not sure if it is a good idea but i have never had any prblems so far.

maybe a steam clean will be safer on the engine.

regards

nathan@sumopower