Exhaust Noise = Increase

350matty

Hey i was driving my car today and put my put down then suddenly notice the car ehaust noise increase.

I dont know what is going on but i hope its nothing bad. The noise increase is very noticable. My exhaust has even pops now, sounds like a modded exhaust its awesome. But i am concerned, i dont think its a whole in my ehaust. Where is all the popping coming from or why? Use to pop a bit before now its more often.

Took it round to mates and he loves it, ive saved money on a getting a louder exhaust.

Someone switch exhausts with me? or is the engine getting more aggressive cos ive not ragged it for a while?

Thanks

Hi Matty,

Same thing happened to me just before Christmas. Turned out my back box had blown a big hole (actually the pipe between the back box and the join with the centre pipe had completely cracked all the way round...). The popping will be unburnt fuel hitting the hot exhaust and burning.

I'd go and get it checked if I were you. You'll be losing performance, decreasing fuel economy and you might even be screwing up the ECU as it tries to compensate for the changes.

Hope this helps

Andrew

Same happened with mine (2004). Took it to the local exhaust dealer to have it checked out and he said this was a common problem on the Z.

There is a flange connection between the back box and the piece of exhaust pipe running down the centre of the car to the engine Y section.

The flanges on these two pieces bolt together. The flange, on the back box end of this connection, had broken away from the exhaust pipe.

They cut out the complete old flange connection, made a new one from stainless and welded it in. Perfect job costing £120 if memory serves.

The back box itself was sound, just as well because a new one was quite expensive (around £300 I believe) and would have taken a couple of days to be delivered

Hi Matty,

Same thing happened to me just before Christmas. Turned out my back box had blown a big hole (actually the pipe between the back box and the join with the centre pipe had completely cracked all the way round...). The popping will be unburnt fuel hitting the hot exhaust and burning.

I'd go and get it checked if I were you. You'll be losing performance, decreasing fuel economy and you might even be screwing up the ECU as it tries to compensate for the changes.

Hope this helps

Andrew

I hate taking it to the Nissan Garage the are balls. Ill see if i can take it somewhere else. Just booked up a trip to bacelona for fri so wont be able to sort it for 2 weeks noooooo.

I hope i can drive it in the mean time. Loving the sound tho its just what i wanted.

Ill get under and check for cracks.

Hate problems! Have an 51 reg almera to nearly done 100k and nothing has gone wrong with it everything wrks perfect. But with the Z had lots of concerns, i feel like its fragile!

Hi Matty,

Hope this helps

Andrew

I hate taking it to the Nissan Garage the are balls. Ill see if i can take it somewhere else. Just booked up a trip to bacelona for fri so wont be able to sort it for 2 weeks noooooo.

I hope i can drive it in the mean time. Loving the sound tho its just what i wanted.

Ill get under and check for cracks.

Hate problems! Have an 51 reg almera to nearly done 100k and nothing has gone wrong with it everything wrks perfect. But with the Z had lots of concerns, i feel like its fragile!

keep an eye on ebay for a a used system. They go through now and again for around £100

Just been out and the exhaust sound is amazing loving it dont want to get its sorted but guess ill have to.

Sounds so good and popping sounds so cool!

You on about the back box going for around 100?

y pipe back to and including back box

Think my wish has come true really wished for my exhaust to sound louder and if it popped id love it got both without paying a penny for new exhaust haha

Ill have a look, must be second hand for that price.

May just get a nismo back box what i wannted for a while.

Same happened with mine (2004). Took it to the local exhaust dealer to have it checked out and he said this was a common problem on the Z.

There is a flange connection between the back box and the piece of exhaust pipe running down the centre of the car to the engine Y section.

The flanges on these two pieces bolt together. The flange, on the back box end of this connection, had broken away from the exhaust pipe.

They cut out the complete old flange connection, made a new one from stainless and welded it in. Perfect job costing £120 if memory serves.

The back box itself was sound, just as well because a new one was quite expensive (around £300 I believe) and would have taken a couple of days to be delivered

This is the exact problem I had. I was lucky enough to find a new Nismo Zorst owner who let me have his back box for £80 (Thanks Mike ;) )but the bit where yours had cracked was exactly the same place mine did. Mine was so loud, I was scared to rev it above 2,000rpm!

I looked into buying a Nismo or other performance exhaust but they were all around £750-800 and this was a figure too high, unbudgetted in December... :wacko:

Check the exhaust and this is what has happened its broken away from where the back box connects to the centre pipe. ill Get a Photo up!

How mush is it for an nismo back box exhaust?

exhaust.jpg

This is my problem. But im happy how it sounds, it fantastic!

Shame ill have to get it repaired.

Checked if anything will fall out will im driving and everything is held in place.

Hope this is not too expensive to repaire. Is this a sign, god telling me its time for the nismo exhaust i wanted? Is it worth getting, there much difference to standard. Thankyou peeps!

exhaust.jpg

Checked if anything will fall out will im driving and everything is held in place.

Hope this is not too expensive to repaire. Is this a sign, god telling me its time for the nismo exhaust i wanted? Is it worth getting, there much difference to standard. Thankyou peeps!

Is this fault listed as something to check in the buyers FAQ thread? Maybe we should add it if its not.

exhaust.jpg

Hope this is not too expensive to repaire. Is this a sign, god telling me its time for the nismo exhaust i wanted? Probably

Is it worth getting, depends if you want to spend £800 on an exhaust....

there much difference to standard. Better looks, better sound.

Thankyou peeps!

Well all answers to the above Nismo questions can be found using the search button. I answered anyway.

exhaust.jpg

Is this fault listed as something to check in the buyers FAQ thread? Maybe we should add it if its not.

Dicky said he had the same problem and the garage said its a common problem so yeah.

exhaust.jpg

Hope this is not too expensive to repaire. Is this a sign, god telling me its time for the nismo exhaust i wanted? Probably

Is it worth getting, depends if you want to spend £800 on an exhaust....

there much difference to standard. Better looks, better sound.

Thankyou peeps!

Well all answers to the above Nismo questions can be found using the search button. I answered anyway.

£800 would rather drive with my exhaust broke. BEST getting it repaired then!

Thanks

Cool looks like ill need to get mine welded. Can you get a photo on the job, interested on what it looks like.

£120! If i go somewhere else other than the dealer surely i could get it done easily under £100??

Cool looks like ill need to get mine welded. Can you get a photo on the job, interested on what it looks like.

£120! If i go somewhere else other than the dealer surely i could get it done easily under £100??

Sorry for the delay, Ive been away. Not much good with the old computer but I'll try to get a pic posted.

Sorry for the delay, Ive been away. Not much good with the old computer but I'll try to get a pic posted.

Wish I hadn’t bothered taking the pic now cos its confused me. The st st bit seems to have been welded on the good end of the exhaust while the end that was damaged looks to be the original flange (which I know for sure was broken). Anyway this is the repair. Hope it helps and hope the pic size is ok as the original was to big and had to get my daughter to crop it for me.