Idler pulleys

scobie140

Where do you guys source your idler pulleys from?

The bearings are away on two of mine from the vortech mounting bracket. I thought it would be a nice simple job to pop a circlip out then press the bearing out and re fit a new one but these are sealed into the pulley

New SKF bearings are about £4 each so thought it was a cheap fix :angry:

I've had a google but can't find the pulleys I need.

If anyone has any ideas on where to source them I'm all ears.

Pics below for part numbers etc

20170812_162309.thumb.jpg.2f8b4469412526ba07e013d88d147baa.jpg20170812_162312.thumb.jpg.44b346f021ba98d6acb82295b4e6ede7.jpg20170812_162304.thumb.jpg.dacba24d034cc91c833afa2bfb6b7dd9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat, idler pulley is making a faint squeak but I've came across several threads on American forums saying just press the bearing out and replace it with a new one. 

What method did you try to get the bearing out ? I can't see why circlips would be needed if it was molded to the pulley ! 

11 hours ago, Dave6188 said:

I'm in the same boat, idler pulley is making a faint squeak but I've came across several threads on American forums saying just press the bearing out and replace it with a new one. 

What method did you try to get the bearing out ? I can't see why circlips would be needed if it was molded to the pulley ! 

You can't press the bearing out on those pulleys due to it being moulded around the bearing, part of the no slack design. It's possible that they have a different brand of pulley.

Circlips aren't needed with these pulleys but normally the bearings are held in with circlips so you can change just the bearing.

Out of boredom since I had ordered new pulleys I pressed one bearing out and it cracked the pulley which I expected. I was going to turn one side of the pulley down on the laith and press it out then fit a new bearing with bearing lock but decided it was too much hassle when I had already ordered new pulleys. 

That's the ones I got, one is the ribbed and one is the smooth. The numbers on the actual pulleys have nothing to do with the product numbers :wacko:

20170824_094400.thumb.jpg.0b8c25ac678e3a6a44ee7cf137ac1c91.jpg

Ah right fair enough, we have a press at work so I was thinking along the same lines as you, press out and glue new bearing in but I was a bit apprehensive because they look to be made of cast iron which could crack easily ! 

Don't suppose you know the part number for the ribbed pulley as that's the only one I'm after, how much roughly did it cost you ? 

You DE or HR ? 

Yeh the only way you'll get it out without damaging it is to machine away one of the faces holding it in unfortunately. Mine were plastic so if yours is metal you might be in luck and have a different set up from me.

89009 was the ribbed pulley

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/dac-89009/overview/

$40 for shipping and taxes is what I paid for two :surrender:

Worked out about £50 odd all in I think.

Mines is a DE