Banana arm bush seized onto chassis bolts...

Hey all, 

Bit of a problem. 

Mechanic has just spent the last 4 hours trying to get my old front lower rear arms / banana arms off to replace them. Unfortunately the bushing seems to be seized onto chassis bolts, and he isn't sure if there are any options aside from trying to cut it off, which could damage the chassis bolt and require fabrication to fix.... 

Pictures below for what is seized and won't come off. 

Has anybody else experienced similar? I can't believe I'm the only one who has had this problem as the arms are a fairly common issue as I understand it. 

Any thoughts? 

Input appreciated as it's currently looking like a relatively quick and inexpensive fix may become alot more costly :surrender:

20170728_164312.jpg

20170728_164317.jpg

20170728_164322.jpg

I believe him to be competent, he is employed by a race team that competes around europe in addition to having his shop, but in his words he is not a fabricator.  He is dubious of cutting it off and damaging the chassis bolt and surrounding area which may then require work to reconstruct. 

Just trying to discover if anybody else has had similar problems, and whether stuff needed cutting, or whether they've always managed to pry them off? =) 

57 minutes ago, Doom said:

I believe him to be competent, he is employed by a race team that competes around europe in addition to having his shop, but in his words he is not a fabricator.  He is dubious of cutting it off and damaging the chassis bolt and surrounding area which may then require work to reconstruct. 

Just trying to discover if anybody else has had similar problems, and whether stuff needed cutting, or whether they've always managed to pry them off? =) 

As said, very common for the bushing to be seized on the chassis pin, however no need to cut any thing off.

When seized I either use a puller to get if off, however if your man does not have the correct tooling for the job then a bolster chisel between the chassis leg and the bushing will get it moved the first few centimetres and then work of using a large pry bar.

Image result for bolster chiselImage result for large pry bar

Thanks for help Alex =)

He and assistant spent several hours trying to unseize and using large pry bars to loosen to no avail.  Is it a case of more force required?  Is there any risk of bending the pin and buggering up the geometry as a result?  Would the chisel not damage the thread, or is the thread on that part of it not important?  

3 minutes ago, Doom said:

Thanks for help Alex =)

He and assistant spent several hours trying to unseize and using large pry bars to loosen to no avail.  Is it a case of more force required?  Is there any risk of bending the pin and buggering up the geometry as a result?  Would the chisel not damage the thread, or is the thread on that part of it not important?  

You wont loosen with a pry if it is well seized.

Using a bolster chisel at the top of the bushing will move the bushing down a few centimetres and you will then get in from the top with the release oil.

Then using the pry bar evenly, you will be able to work the bushing off the pin.

There are no threads at the top of the pin so the threads can not be damaged.

Any resulting damage however will depend on how ham fisted your man is.

8 minutes ago, MDMetal said:

would a ball joint separator fork help?

Unfortunately not enough room for the BJ splitter.

If the correct tooling is not to hand then the bolster chisel is the best option to move the bushing  down a tad to break the "seal" and create a gap.

I just whacked mine with a hammer and a piece of wood, that said I didn't remove the hub side until the body end had been shifted to ensure there was no twisting.

How deteriorated is the rubber? I had a qashqai engine mount disintegrate in my hands after some prodding with a screwdriver

Brilliant, thanks so much Alex, really appreciated =)

MDMetal, the rubber doesn't appear to be about to fall apart in any way, if it were I can't imagine there would be a problem! =D