Rockingham 16th July

the trusty beemer is booked in for another trackday at Rockingham in a couple of weekends time, any of the trackday regulars on here going along?

I have a love hate relationship with rockingham - there are some corners I really like, and when the sun is shining I really enjoy driving it. however, rockingham has killed one beemer and made a reasonable go at killing another when I overcooked it in the wet - hoping for a safe dry track this time!

dont have a zed any more! daily driver is a 330d now... but the 328i is the track slag, though its not good at drifting, still running an open diff. but its bags of fun, still puts a massive grin on my face even though i've been tracking essentially the same car for the last 4 years now.

Ah right I see. I got a shot of a 328 for sdc earlier this year, first time I've ever driven a bmw and I loved it! What a chassis and great steering lock mega cheap unlike the z. Is it grip driving your doing? I'd still weld the diff if I were you as it brings the car alive and gives you alot more control and of course more fun!

mostly grip driving... though not adverse to having a slide when the marshals aren't looking :lol:

nah cant weld the diff, my wife occasionally drives it down the road to pilates, don't think she'd appreciate a tyre skipping whilst going round corners!

• 4 weeks later...

well car survived, despite a couple of spins on the exit of the tarzan hairpin (not by me I might add) and a drop of rain just after lunch.

turns out my comedy 'Caution - parts may fall off' decal I put on the rear turned out to be accurate - the left front indicator decided to pop out whilst doing 100mph on the banking - and took the wing mirror glass out as well on its way past.

overall car was handling well - tried a slightly higher rear tyre pressure as have been having problems with understeer at other circuits, but just increasing the rears by 2psi led to power oversteer, which I've never had on the track tyres!

also, managed to get myself black flagged for drifting... darn tarzan is just too tempting to slide on the exit, although accidentally sliding on entry as well probably didn't help.

Photos from the day here:

http://www.motorsportinfocus.co.uk/2017-events/rockingham-160717/?sub=087c1ccaac8e199067f5cd8a575ba81c

next up is Bedford in 3 weeks time - if I manage to get oversteer there i'll know the rear tyres may have had enough, as last time I was there in april the rear was locked solid, but it does seem more likely to slide on a right corner, whereas all the hairpins at Bedford turn left.

Edited by brillomaster