Door handle help

G1en

1- I only have grey plastic primer in the garage, noticed the door handles are metal, will it be ok if i lightly sand them and use this before main coat? Or do i need a metal primer?

2- one of the bolts holding the handle on has fallen down i side the door, is the only way to retrieve this taking the door card off? Is it straight forward?

3- Now both doors are closed and handles off how do i get into car, through the boot? Or is there a simpler way?

4- I am a idiot and realy need to think things through before starting. HELP

1. Plastic primer on metal is fine. (Metal primer doesn't work on plastic though.)

2. Just whack the door card off, it only takes a minute. There's a few guides around, but you just pop some bits off and undo a few screws. Use a magnetic screwdriver next time or use a toilet roll tube to stop it falling down.

3. I'd guess there might be something you can poke, but I'm inclined to say you have to go through the boot and record it for our entertainment :lol:

Edited by Strudul

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the handles finished and refitted today. Slightly darker tone so dont stand out as much as the oem silver. Will get a pic up next time i wash the zed.

But on the issue of the bolt that dropped down inside the door, dont do it people. I got the door card off but the bolt was inside the metal door skin. Had to take the speaker out to get my arm in but bolt was opposite end so attached a magnetic screwdriver to a piece of metal which was long enough to reach and retrieve.

Suprised with the weight of a door card, must be a few kilos, has anyone gutted the inside of their zed of all trim and weighed it all to see what kind of saving there is?

Poor lit pic as car in the garage but you get the gist. Handles match ssr wheels much better now so dont stick out as much. Wheels are phantom silver, handles are bmw space grey:

5C8411B1-51FA-4685-AE3B-68A6CA9FC0B5_zpsxlb20pjv.jpg

• Like 1