Bumper Clip Bracket Repair / Alternative?

Strudul

The little brackets at the bottom of the front bumper that you slide clips onto to screw the undertray on...

The edges of mine are all ripped off (as below), so the clips don't stay in place. Any suggestions on a way to repair these, a replacement bracket, or a good alternative?

Currently everything is held on by zip ties, which do a fantastic job, but are a tad unsightly and a bitch to reapply after taking the undertray off.

Could you just plastic weld an edge back on? Or fashion another bracket out of metal and stick it on?

Picture for reference:

fXRsDPa.png?1

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Make a Aluminium Bracket, drill and tap 2 holes into it either side, not forgeting to drill the main hole as well, drill holes in the bumper either side to match up with the holes in the ally plate and secure using stainless bolts, make sure to grease the bolts or you will get a reaction between the ally and stainless.

• Like 1

Try doing the same as above but use rivnuts. Maybe a bit overkill but works! Check out my project thread if you like, i did that on mine.

Found it, looks good :thumbs:

Also though, when I went to take the front bumper off to get to the washer bottle, nearly all the fixing were rusted/snapped, so I set about repairing the undertray and bumper with riv-nuts etc:

IMG_20150912_110148534_zpsgc622zqf.jpg

IMG_20150912_153656682_zps365pwn2g.jpg

IMG_20150912_161314209_zpsznw5pify.jpg

IMG_20150912_153710636_zpsqazoilh1.jpg

• Like 2

Cheers.

Yeh, thats pretty much what I had in mind

Could aly bolts be used?

Ally bolts could be. but would become compromised by road salt and weaken, better off using Stainless and greasing them up, or just use a stainless plate for the project. TBH the way the undertray and bonnet are fitted leave a lot to be desired the only reason the plastic rips is due to cheap ferrous fasteners being used in the first place, One might have believed a little more thought would of gone into what materials were used.

The little brackets at the bottom of the front bumper that you slide clips onto to screw the undertray on...

The edges of mine are all ripped off (as below), so the clips don't stay in place. Any suggestions on a way to repair these, a replacement bracket, or a good alternative?

Currently everything is held on by zip ties, which do a fantastic job, but are a tad unsightly and a bitch to reapply after taking the undertray off.

Could you just plastic weld an edge back on? Or fashion another bracket out of metal and stick it on?

Picture for reference:

fXRsDPa.png?1

Or m6 Flange Bolts, and a washer if needed.

• 2 weeks later...