Suspension help

Cam350z

Hi,

I have just fitted a set of HSD mono pro coilovers, Driftworks front & rear camber arms, Driftworks rear traction arms, new oem toe bolts and a full set of Whiteline front and rear adjustable drop links. The car is on a set of 19's (245/35 et12 f and 275/35 et12 r) with a 35mm gap from the top of the rim to highest point of the arch all round. The rear arches have been rolled too. Car is currently way off camber and toe wise and is still current garaged for the winter (tbh I have not tried to set the car up).

I am away to get the car booked in to get a Hunter 4 wheel laser alignment and want to make sure that I have made all the appropriate suspension modifications before booking it in. I have searched on this forum to see if I was missing anything and people on here seem to also change out the original spring bucket for adjustable rear toe links while also swapping out the oem toe bolts for the eccentric lockout kit. The car will most likely only see road use and cover <2000miles per year.

I have heard that the oem toe bolts can slip altering the alignment of the car. I have also heard it can be difficult to align the car on oem toe bolts if it has been lowered. The price for the alignment is quite high and don't want to have to make multiple trips to get it aligned due to parts slipping, not getting properly aligned etc. so I would like to know if its worth spending the extra money so that the car will have a better chance at staying aligned for longer of if this really just applies to people who track/thrash their cars?

I have heard on hear that people do not rate the Driftworks traction arms and would recommend fitting the oem ones back on. I don't really want to do this as I knackered the standard traction arm bushings taking them off and don't really want to buy new ones if it isn't necessary.

If the change is recommended can anyone recommend a set of adjustable rear toe links? I have seen prices for the eccentric lockout kits which to me seem incredibly high for the sake of 4 bolts and 8 washers and was wondering if anyone on here has made their own set before?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Cameron. :)

You can buy a set of square washers the same thickness but they need cutting usually.

I can't remember the size but I have it written at home.

You don't really need those bolts as it's for toe on the spring bucket - but it depends on your set-up of course, which you aren't quite going to know until you've had some kind of alignment done.

I have the front DW camber arms, now I will warn you, these aren't the easiest arms to set. So you'll need a patient or experience alignment chap.

I've used Wheels In Motion for that, they have an great machine for it and very skilled alignment guys working there.

(where it differs to the usual places is that they can raise the car on the ramp, and the machine compensates for the raised car, so they align it in the air, drop it and check again - very nice)

You should have alignment checked out a few times a year anyway, just go to somewhere that offers free checking after it's set.

Thanks for getting back to me,

I decided to take the plunge and buy the SPL eccentric lockout kit and Circuit Sports toe arms. I am based in Aberdeen and the nearest Hunter alignment place is at Reidline Performance which used to be where Clark Motorsport was situated. I spoken to one of the guys in person, telling him the modifications that have been done and he seemed pretty confident that they'll be able to align the car.

I was just wanting to make sure that the car was fitted with suitable parts that will allow for a decent alignment as I have heard that sometimes the stock toe bolts don't allow for a great degree of adjustment on lowered 350z's.

• Like 1

When I spoke to the guy he said that they would try and get the car back to manufacturer settings and make adjustments as to avoid any issues with the tyres rubbing on the arches. I've had the car aligned before but no one has ever asked me what settings I would like.

If the parts arrive this week I'll hopefully get them fitted at the weekend and get the car booked in for an alignment next week :) .

Ok well with the DW front arms you don't really want them to be set at factory spec, there won't be much thread holding it in the arm, so do ask him to feel how much there is.

I'd advise more negative camber up the front end (I'm at -2.4ish), somewhere close to -2 would probably be advised for that reason.

• Like 1