350Z in Dublin, ROI - servicing

SimonKevNorris

My 350Z is overdue for a service.

I'm currently based in Ballsbridge, Dublin, Ireland.

When I had my MOT in the UK (Reading) before Xmas last year I was advised that I would need to change the front brake pads and replace the rear tyres.

I know some owners are based in Dublin (thanks for the replies to the question on fuel) and I'd like to hear where you take yours.

Previously, since new (2008) my car was serviced at the Nissan Dealership in Walton-on-Thames.

Each time I've replaced tyres in the past I've kept the original make (Bridgestone?) I did read (in EVO magazine) that the car should be left on the original make and type of tyre.

If it's just for a simple service, any mechanic can do it, there's nothing overly complicated about the 350 thankfully. I would probably buy all my own products though and make note of the oil capacity to save them having to search for the info and possibly getting it wrong.

As for the tyres, the OEM Bridgestone Potenza RE040's are pretty awful, so if thats what you're still on I'd be changing to something else like Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S.

Hi Simon

Dublin owner here. I'm living up in Dublin 15 near the Phoenix Park. I do a lot of the servicing myself, such as oil changes, spark plugs, aux belts etc so I haven't really had the need to have it in a garage.

Are you definitely looking to go to a main dealer to get the servicing done or would an Independent suffice?

I've used Windsor Nissan in Liffey Valley for some service parts - mainly oil filter and aux belts. Windsor also have some other branches closer to you - such as Deansgrange.

If you want to go the Indy Route, I'll get a recommendation from one of the Irish Car Forums I'm on.

As for tyres - I put Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3s fitted to my DE and they were a lot better. I've RE050s on my HR and they are shocking in the wet. Like shocking that I nearly binned it up the Wicklow Gap last Sunday :D I got Tyreland, Glasnevin to fit the Eagle F1s. Think they were around 180 euro a corner balanced & fitted.

@GT Driver - thanks for that.

I'm afraid when mechanicals (or gardening for that matter) I definitely have two thumbs if not three.

I'm fairly sure that my 350Z is an HR as it was one of the last ones around at the end of 2008 (the dealership went from around £2k off to £7.2K off when I bought her - the next week they were £9.2K off then they stopped the offer).

If you could get a recommendation about the indy route I would consider that. The Nissan Dealership I used before was very convenient - I could walk there in 20 minutes or if I was lazy (or the weather was crap) catch a bus. it's more about knowing that someone who knows what they are doing or cares about it more than the price (not that main dealers are guaranteed to meet either of those).

I don't use the car that much as my desk in AIB Bankcentre is literally 15 minutes away (or less).

Tyres are a lot cheaper now from when I first had my 350Z in 2008 (not that I needed replacement tyres for a year or more) I did get them slashed once when I was parked in Sunbury-on-Thames (off road in a parking area).

Those RE050s sound a nightmare. When I bought my second 1.7 Puma (I killed the first one sadly) someone had put the cheapest and nastiest tyres on her. Even with a relative lack of power the first time in the wet was interesting.