Bad cat??

Rob350

Iv had a EML on now for two months,

P0430

Catalyst converter efficiency below threshold bank 2 (passenger side I think??)

Googling and speaking with people on here since the light came on, number one choice was to change the 2nd o2 sensor.. I swapped it yesterday for a 2nd hand one, drove about 20 miles and it came back on again.

Does this mean the cat is fubared do you think?

I thought if the cat was goosed the EML would say... P0*** "your cat is goosed"

What's your thoughts guys???

• 3 weeks later...

Iv had a EML on now for two months,

P0430

Catalyst converter efficiency below threshold bank 2 (passenger side I think??)

Googling and speaking with people on here since the light came on, number one choice was to change the 2nd o2 sensor.. I swapped it yesterday for a 2nd hand one, drove about 20 miles and it came back on again.

Does this mean the cat is fubared do you think?

I thought if the cat was goosed the EML would say... P0*** "your cat is goosed"

What's your thoughts guys???

I had the exact same issue, replaced it with a used one and reset the code using the OBDII Reader, never returned since. The sensor I replaced was on the driver's side behind the engine block (I believe its Bank 2?). If you changed the nearside/passenger side you may want to look at replacing the drivers side one.

Sorry mate, I just confirmed the exact message I got when I replaced my camshaft position sensor. It was 'P0420 - CATALYST SYSTEM EFFICIENCY BELOW THRESHOLD - BANK 1'.

KyleR is correct, that is relating to the actual o2 sensor on the catalytic converter itself (which ironically is an error I came across on my previous Zed I had in 2012). This was due to fitting High Flow Catalytic Converters (HFCs). I fitted o2 sensor spacers which ZMANALEX sold at the time. It's as simple as unscrewing the sensor and screwing it onto the copper spacer than screwing the copper spacer onto the catalytic converter. This results in the sensor being further away from the cat thus resulting in the o2 sensor reading lower emissions readings which will hopefully resolve the dashboard warning light issue. You'll need to however clear the code using an OBDII reader.

Bank 2 sensor is the passenger side/nearside. Just to clarify you will probably get away with just fitting a copper o2 sensor spacer, it should resolve the issue. Have a thorough look at it, if it hasn't rusted into bits and there are any obvious holes, causing air leaks you should be fine. It's not a problem if the heat shield itself corrodes and falls away.

If the problem still persists, you will probably need to replace that o2 sensor. As far as I remember they're not cheap!

Edited by HassanZ

Iv had the bank 2 sensor out and replaced with a second hand one so fitting a spacer shouldnt be a problem

what i think is strange is why am I getting this light in the 1st place??

Iv got Oem cats so I shouldn't really get this code unless the cat is bad, or the o2 sensor is faulty?

I don't just want to fit the spacer to get rid of the eml light, I'd rather fix whatever the issue is.