ECU bizzle?

RagingKileak

Hey peeps,

Can someone fill me in on the ECU situation with the 350?

Are all the below true?

There is no way I can remap it?

There is no replacement ECU (for less than a million quid)?

It learns like a big gay thing and dumbs down any mods?

Does anyone know if someone is working on changing the above?

I've never known a car which didnt have remappable or at least changeable ECU's with so much support from the modding community!!

Matt

Hey peeps,

Are all the below true?

There is no way I can remap it?

There is no replacement ECU (for less than a million quid)?

It learns like a big gay thing and dumbs down any mods?

Does anyone know if someone is working on changing the above?

I've never known a car which didnt have remappable or at least changeable ECU's with so much support from the modding community!!

Matt

needs a piggyback ECU like Utech or F-Con from HKS.

The very early cars 2002/2003 (imports) seem to retain the changes after a reset.

It is possile to have the ECU reflashed but means sending the unit away.

Hey peeps,

Are all the below true?

There is no way I can remap it? UTEC, HKS FCON to name a few

There is no replacement ECU (for less than a million quid)? Erm about 600quid

It learns like a big gay thing and dumbs down any mods? The ECU is self taught, so if you have FI without remap, eventually will go back to stock readings, but if you UTEC it, will be permantly changed and allow exhaust, plenum and Induction kit come into play

Does anyone know if someone is working on changing the above? Not sure what you mean

Matt

Hey peeps,

Are all the below true?

It learns like a big gay thing and dumbs down any mods? The ECU is self taught, so if you have FI without remap, eventually will go back to stock readings, but if you UTEC it, will be permantly changed and allow exhaust, plenum and Induction kit come into play

Does anyone know if someone is working on changing the above? Not sure what you mean

Matt

Regarding the last question, he means is someone trying to hack the OEM ecu to provide a remap. i.e similar to the ECUTEK for the impreza.

As far as i am aware i only know of one company in the states that do this, however im not too clued up on it. Bigphil obvioulsy is alot more knowledgable on this, maybe best to give him a call if your serously interested in modding the ecu.

Phil - where does it get sent off to?

Hey peeps,

Are all the below true?

Matt

Regarding the last question, he means is someone trying to hack the OEM ecu to provide a remap. i.e similar to the ECUTEK for the impreza.

As far as i am aware i only know of one company in the states that do this, however im not too clued up on it. Bigphil obvioulsy is alot more knowledgable on this, maybe best to give him a call if your serously interested in modding the ecu.

Phil - where does it get sent off to?

Phil has his own reliable source, at a great rate too :thumbs:

are you familiar with the Osiris UpRev?

http://www.uprev.com/

they are able to flash the ECU via the OBD-II port using a cipher cable (which is what nissan use for their diagnostics) and their own software. they will soon be releasing a "tuner" version which can do realtime mapping.

it's an interesting piece of kit - but they don't have any maps for UK cars or experience with the UK ECU.. (I asked em by email the other day)

Guest prescience

Reflashing is a mugs game IMHO unless the price for a reflash is comparable to say 1-2 hours dyno time. This is for the following reasons:

- if you have a reflash specific to your mods, you have to pay again for another reflash for any more mods (unless you are sure the reflash was conservative, in which case what was the point anyway?)

- if the cost of a UTEC is comparable to two reflashes or less, that's a much more scaleable option once you can identify a suitable tuner (which I know is an issue right now)

- tuning fuel and timing directly for a car by a competent tuner is always best because no 2 baselines are the same either

- there are countless combinations of mods which people will have even if you have the same baseline; I'm sure there are no 2 cars alike on this forum in terms of mods. Unless the reflash company has a matching large database (one-to-one) of maps, how can you be sure what you are being reflashed to is optimal and/or safe. If it's a conservative reflash, again what's the point?

Just my 2p as they say :D

this is all true ^^

uprev IS quite a cheap option and you can reflash as many times as you like once you have bought it - you just need a different map file.

you can also put their software into recording mode and do a run from 0-80mph or whatever, then send the recorded data to them and they will send back a map.. I have no idea if this is a good idea!

and finally - they will soon be releasing a "live-tune" upgrade to their software (free for users) which will enable anyone with a dyno to optimise the map and then flash it.

(oh they can also load 3 different maps into the ECU which you can toggle between using cruise control buttons)..

BUT ... they haven't got a default map for UK spec ECU or any experience with it .. and I don't want to run the risk of it really...

Reflashing is a mugs game IMHO unless the price for a reflash is comparable to say 1-2 hours dyno time. This is for the following reasons:

- if the cost of a UTEC is comparable to two reflashes or less, that's a much more scaleable option once you can identify a suitable tuner (which I know is an issue right now)

Dorian totally agree with you as it was you who advised me about remapping and made me see sense.

Correct me if Im wrong. If wanting a remap i just to stop the ECU reverting back to OEM setting, and leaving its reading open ended to whatever power addition you add on like nismo exhaust e.t.c, then I think a UTEC is the best option and have heard that Thor Racing are doing UTEC remaps on UK cars :thumbs:

If the £600 figure stands, I could be tempted by that. Have they any quoted figures from previous 350's so we can maybe gauge potential figures from our own Z's?

Wasnt by Thor was by another garage, but that process including buying the UTEC from Adam at Z1 or Phil. RSW also mao via UTEC too. I think Thor was 700 all in :)

Guest prescience

For me it isn't (wasn't) price that was the issue (within reason) it was about control - I just feel so much more in control with a scaleable option where you can pitch up and get it tuned on a rolling road in an hour or so and drive away. Competent tuners are doing that all the time, with all kinds of software, for all kinds of cars - to quote a much used phrase, it's not rocket science, just adjusting fuel delivery and timing (pretty much)

Where the price is an issue is that someone, every one, will have to pay to get UK tuners up the learning curve with whatever software for the 350Z. In the US, it's a complete no-brainer, since people have trail-blazed the problem.

I just prefer having the motor on a rolling road with the tuner present, tinkering with the settings

Guest prescience
yes - its about the only thing that makes me wish I lived in the US .. along with the price of petrol :lol:

Ageed ^^ :lol:

Just a final comment, any option whatsoever where you send your ECU away in the post is a no-no in my opinion. Things get lost easily in the post (ask the Government ;) ) and then where the h*ll are you :surrender:

Im surprised that the extra breathing from induction, intake manifold, and full exhaust wouldnt be worth getting an ECU. I know its different but on my honda which is already pushing 110bhp/litre in standard form fitting an aftermarket ecu made a massive difference, not just in power/torque but in driveability and fuel consumption.

Im surprised that something like the zed which doesnt have the highest tuned engine 80bhp/litre isnt cost effective to get a aftermarket ecu without FI.

btw - my ecu is in the region of ~£1100 setup and ~£150 per tune (2 hours)

I understand the OEM ecu is safe even with all the extra breathing, but why spend £200-£300 on an intake manifold, ~£700 on an exhaust, ~£300 on sports cats and ~£200 on an intake to not get the full benefit of them by uprating ecu...

SInbad, I take it you have HONDATA? Thats what I had on my CTR and it what I would like for the Z.

If not, I guess I wont bother!!

Matt

Yes mate, for my Dc5. IM guessing the UTECH is along the similar lines. I dont know if its supported as well as the HONDATA though.

Just wondering.. someone mentioned that the 2002/3 are able to retain their mods without any ecu changes? AS mine is 2003 version.. shud i stil be arranging a re-map?

PHil - u mention UTEC re-map wud be £1200 total, quite expensive!

Is it any cheaper using F-CON ecu instead? Any pros/cons over the UTEC?

Just wondering.. someone mentioned that the 2002/3 are able to retain their mods without any ecu changes? AS mine is 2003 version.. shud i stil be arranging a re-map?

PHil - u mention UTEC re-map wud be £1200 total, quite expensive!

Is it any cheaper using F-CON ecu instead? Any pros/cons over the UTEC?

Should have made it clear I mean purchase of Utech plus the mapping would be that sort of figure, in a lot of cases mapping can be around the £300 mark but best to overbudget than be shocked.

Increased mapping costs normaly stem from ssues which are picked up when the operation is being carried out obviously these need to rectified or identified before the session can be completed hence possible additional cost.

F-Con is a quality piece of kit but again hardware likely to be around the £700 area plus mapping, use he servves of someone like TDI who have vastexperience with this system and you can be sure you will get the best out of the car although don't expect huge leaps in performance, major gains on NA are very difficult and expensive.