Gearbox differences

Tom_K

Merry Christmas everyone!

I'll start with the usual 'sorry if this has been asked before' but I have tried searching and couldn't quite find the info I wanted.

So, I have a 2003 350gt (g35) with the 6 speed manual and recently replaced the clutch, flywheel, slave, oil etc

It's highlighted that what I though was clutch release bearing noise is in fact coming from the gearbox.

It's whiney when the clutch pedal is up, and the noise is still there in 1st, 2nd, less so in 3rd and then gets less and less. Plus it's notchy between 1st and 2nd, hot and cold, but a bit better when hot.

So, as mine is an early model, did they improve the boxes at all? Can my box be rebuilt with updated parts?

Are there later boxes that are bullet proof that can therefore be bought used and just fitted without concern?

Im trying to weigh up options of rebuilding or replacing, or replacing with a rebuilt unit and part exchanging mine in if anyone offers that service?

Any advice much appreciated :)

Thanks both.

Not so much for the straight cut box advice 😋 Great but not happening on this car.

Funnily enough I found emperor tuning selling a box on eBay and though the advert was great combined with a video. Fair play to effort involved in the advertising there.

His advert put me onto the different box codes which helps but I'm still wondering whether the cd001 (as I assume I have in mine) can be rebuilt with cd009 internals or if I can just buy a cd009 and put that in. My concerns there are whether or not the cd009 is strong enough to chuck in without a 'precautionary' rebuild.

• 9 months later...

Hi All,

Monumental thread bump on this!

As the car is a weekend toy, the noisy gearbox hasn't bothered me too much but I would really like to get it sorted now.

So, to recap, the CD009 is the box to go for, correct? and there are no issues with these?

Would it go straight into / on a 2003 model or would there be any other bits needed like slave cylinder etc?

Thanks all.