Throttle Valves on VVEL engines

Dicky

I've isolated this question from another of my postings "Throttle Body Clean" and hope that's ok.

A question for the forum Techno guys really.

Does anyone know what function the throttle valves perform on a variable valve type engine, because I now understand they remain fully open the whole time and that the variable valve open timing controls the air intake to the cylinder.

It would seem that cleaning them now would be pointless yet I've read other forum posts and watched YouTube vids suggest that cleaning them improves tickover and performances??

Yes they stay open as per that video i posted. Do you have a problem with the tickover then ?

At first I thought I had and is why I posted about Throttle body cleaning, but after giving it a bit of a run, getting it up to operating temperature it now looks ok.

Your video set me off trying to understand the VVEL operation and it supprised me to learn hat the throttle valve stays open.

If their both open the whole time what's the point of them? Is it back up issue or do they contribute to the engine tick over in some way?

For those interested.

Visited Falcon Performance today to get the oil gallery gaskets replaced. Spoke to a technical guy there, one of the owners, who explained that throttle valves do in fact continue to modulate the engine air intake while the valiable valve system opens the valves for the correct amount of time, dependant upon the engines needs. So they do don't just stay open the whole time and still do affect idle performance and will need cleaning now and then when problems arise.

They may even improve performance a bit cos cleaning the TV on my 350 certainly feels as if it does.

Hope this helps :)