Engine making ticking noise and using more oil than normal

barryda

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help, my Z has recently used more oil than normal and it has just started to make a ticking noise from the engine whilst running...

How serious is this ? ... could it be the top end, bottom end ...lifters ? any advise on what this could potentially be and how much it could cost would be appreciated ...

Really worried it could be serious, but I've had no warning light apart from the oil light came on a few weeks back and that's when I topped up the oil...

My Z is a 03 Jap Import 59k

Thanks

Bazza

Guest prescience

What's your oil pressure at idle when its well warmed up - 15psi is normal. Does it increase up to 30-40 when warmed up and giving it some gas?

Guest prescience

Your oil pressure readings are odd if they are the warmed up values (and are actually pressure) - on cold start, they are what you would expect. This may be my bad info: JDM owners - is the gauge on JDM pressure or level (I'm not sure)?

Your gonna need to give some more info

i) where do you think the noise is coming from

ii) can you hear it just at idle or when you are driving

iii) does the frequency/volume of the tick change with engine speed

iv) can you take and post a sound clip

ps I don't think the Z has tappets/hydraulic lifters but it has cam components which if worn could make a ticking noise varying with engine speed

pps the noise may be entirely unrelated to oil level/oil issue

I think it is coming from the top of the engine.. It sounds like a tapping noise.. it seems to be a bit louder when the car has been driven for a while.. You cant really here it from inside the car only outside and when you press the accelerator the freqeuncy increase...

I'm not able to take a sound clip

Any ideas ?

Guest prescience

- cat vibration but unlikely

- is your drive belt in good nick or worn/frayed?

- any change if you have clutch depressed

- worn cam followers but hope not

i have seen, but cannot find, a TSB for a fuel damper issue, which is a common problem but the tick would not change with revs - anyone got that TSB?

Guest prescience

TSB which I just found on the knowledge base for the fuel damper

I would say cam followers would be expensive because cam replacement is 12-16 hours labour but I don't really know. Let's hope its not that anyway - that's the last thing to go for, one step at a time

You must get a sound clip and maybe someone like Tere can advise, it's so difficult to diagnose remotely without this input

Thanks for the info... how do you get the hydraulic tappets cleaned up or should the new oil and filter help free this ? any other ideas of what it could be if this does not work ?

try the new oil and filter first , then worry what else it might be if that doesnt work :lol:

One things for sure it will be expensive if it doesnt :blush:

Guest prescience

Agreed - get some 10w-40 high quality oil (motul or silkolene for example) from oilman in there; don't go for a 0w- or 5w- in your case this once, go for the more viscous 10w- stuff

The objective of the oil in this mix is to reduce wear by reducing the dynamic (sliding) friction (think that's what its called) between cam and follower, if you have an issue, a more viscous oil will tend to 'stick' more between the opposing surfaces - that's why I'm suggesting it

As to cost, the problem is that the cam and cam followers wear with each other and if one needs replacing, so does the other and that is big bucks, as lomoto says :headhurt::headhurt:

On the plus side, there is no real history of excessive cam wear with this car, so unless you really ran very dry on oil for an extended period, it's probably not this fingers crossed ;)

It sounds like a dry cam follower??

With the engine running use a long bladed screw driver and place the metal end on various parts of the engine and at the same time place your ear on the end of the handle.

This will amplify the noise and allow you to find out exactly where it is coming from.

By moving the blade of the screw driver slowly over the top of the engine it is possible to even pin point which cam follower it is - if it is one!!

Be careful not to catch a belt with the screw driver though!!!!!!!!

Tell us EXACTLY where it was loudest and we may be able to pin point your problem before you start paying garage fee's

Let us know the result

Ming the old fashioned

Hi

Really worried it could be serious, but I've had no warning light apart from the oil light came on a few weeks back and that's when I topped up the oil...

:scare: The light coming on doesn't mean you're low on oil it means your oil pump is pumping air. Not good at all. How long was the light on for and what speed/engine revs were at the time :scare:

Guest prescience
Hi

:scare: The light coming on doesn't mean you're low on oil it means your oil pump is pumping air. Not good at all. How long was the light on for and what speed/engine revs were at the time :scare:

Agreed.

Going back to your first post, when you say 'topped up with oil', how much did you have to add because

a) if it was a lot, you could well have been running into oil starvation in the engine

B) if it was not a lot, you need to check that you have added enough.

I count one litre as a 'top-up' whereas the engine holds 4.7 litres in total.

Anyway, get it changed and get this stuff in as soon as

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1145-silkol ... gines.aspx

ps good advice from Ming the Tin Ear :p

I took the car to a Nissan dealer and they have advised that it is not burning oil but they do want to strip the head to find out what the issue is.... the have qouted 19 hours to strip the head @ a cost of £1518.. then the additonal cost for any parts ... HELP !! ..... does anyone know a cheaper option ?? i.e non main dealer ?? and if it is not burning oil what could it be ? is it the Cam folowers / lifters ?? .. Nissan don't want to comment ?

Guest prescience
can only think of TDI but the other side of London in Thurrock

http://www.tdi-plc.com/

They won't work out any cheaper though anyway I would doubt - 19 hours is probably about the right time to strip, check and re-assemble if it is the cam/follower causing the issue.

You need to take the steps above to eliminate other possibilities first

a) change the oil to a high-quality synthetic (as above) and review

B) follow the TSB for fuel damper and review - any competent local outfit can carry out this TSB for you and eliminate it as the cause at least. Whilst there, ask them for a diagnosis

c) Travel to TDI for a diagnosis is a possibility I guess

Ok thanks, also what about an engine flush ? .. to clear out any rubbish ?? .... I am going to get the oil filter and oil changed ... lok at the fuel damper .. and invetigate TDI for diagnosis ...

Will I cause more damage by driving the car ?

Thanks for all your help.. Barry