i do luv me bikes

gsexr

im 99% sure the ZX10 doesnt come with slicks from the showroom

Tyre technology these days is petty mad. The tyres I run on my bikes are the Metzeler Racetec Interact`s and they come in 3 different compound. All have hardly any tread on them at all and are as near to slicks as you can get for the road. I think they are standard on a lot of bikes like the BMW 1000R etc..

Anyway, the long standing bike vs car argument will go on forever I think. The Guy Martin speed documentary the other year where he pitched his motorbike up against a formula one car was interesting. The bike was quicker on the acceleration, but as expected around a race track the formula one car cornered much faster.

On the roads I find I am much quicker on my Yamaha R1 than I am in a car. I find its acceleration, braking and cornering all are so much quicker. I can switch lines mid corner, overtake on small straights where id never be able to in the car and all feel so much more in control & safer. I was expecting my 997 turbo to give it a good run for its money, but after 3000 miles, whilst im still getting used to the 997, the bike is definitely quicker on my local roads. Sure, if I change the tyres out on the 997, have the geometry checked & set, plus adjust the suspension and spend weeks practicing I might be able to give the bike a bit more of a run for its money. But thats a lot of time/effort when I can just wheel my R1 out of the garage and do it all on a stock bike which is now worth about £50k less than the 997 turbo.

oh i agree you can go faster on a bike for less money in that term i can go even faster by plane for even less money going per trip.

but i think its very naive of people to blank statement that bikes are faster than cars as its not the case. there is to many variables

If you took your R1 and 997 out in anything but a completely dry day i imagine the 997 would be faster

also car will always have the head start as you hop in a car and go, dont have to spend 10 minutes getting the power ranger suits on :p

Edited by StevoD
  • Like 1

but i think its very naive of people to blank statement that bikes are faster than cars as its not the case. there is to many variables

And the biggest variable will always be the driver/rider

Until you get to "top end" racing the "pilot" is the governing factor

Rob

• Like 2

yep the Tyre tech is mad!

I'm running the grooved Dunlop D211's at the moment on the bike. The same tyre comes in both grooved to be road legal and slicks for the track. They are pretty slippery in the cold though!

For me on my bike v car - both decent range performers: new zx6r v 370z?

For sure I'm slower on the bike in places like the crazy mountain driving roads in Wales where the danger is high and so same goes for unknown and poor condition roads where you don't get the safety and bad road buffer a car gives. On the track I think I'd go better on the bike because of the extra get up and go, braking and having no wasted space so being able to make better use of the track.

Edited by chips