Bluetooth - what do I need?

Scylla

Hi folks

Sorry to start another thread but I'm picking my new car up on Monday and would really like to order whatever it is I need today.

It's a 2009 GT which doesn't have a bluetooth adapter fitted. I've been recommended a Belkin FM transmitter to play music through, but I need to know if I also have to buy a bluetooth adapter, both to allow the Belkin to work and to make calls.

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers

Yes I think I will. But do I also need the Bluetooth adapter?

Most new head units will have their own bluetooth built in and work completely independently of anything built into the car. The adapter in my GT just sits in the centre console doing nothing; I link my phone straight to the head unit itself. I then assigned the steering wheel controls to active the HU's phone feature, which talks to my phone and brings up phone options.

Unless you're planning to stick with the stock radio, there's not much point taking the car's own bluetooth into consideration.

• Like 1

Better off just buying a new headunit

Halfords have just fitted an Alpine head unit and cable for the steering wheel controls. Works fine and its Bluetooth so the phone works through it and I can stream my music through it as well. Cost me £150 fitted.

Dump the Bluetooth adapter and have a bigger centre console so you can fill it wth more crap. I did lol ;)

I just had an Alpine HU fitted last week and have found out that it will not read all my phonebook numbers, it will only update around 12 numbers as phonebook entries but it does recognise all my dialled and received/missed calls. Not sure if it is a compatibility issue or not, The headunit has advanced bluetooth and my phone is a Samsung s6 edge.