Another funny noise thread...

Rook

I've two questions and I can't seem to find an answer with search, so apologies if these are common...

1. The scrapy clutch noise, I think people have decided it's the throwout bearing - I'm pretty sure mine's gotten louder over the last 20k miles (1 year). It's had a P1 and a P2 in that time. Does this have anything to do with needing a new clutch? My clutch still pulls perfectly despite the mileage on it (110k it's mostly motorway miles anyway, the clutch may have been changed before I got it but I can't find a result if so) but can they fail in other ways? Would this noise be an indication of that? When it bites it rattles a little but it's always done that.

2. I keep hearing a knock under the car. It's not the clicky axles, I've had that problem and fixed it, the sound is totally different. I cannot recreate it on the drive. It usually happens *after* accelerating, but only maybe once a day. I don't necessarily have to accelerate hard, I might go from 50 to 70 on a motorway in fourth, shift in to sixth, the car settles then *bonk* from under the car. Is this symptomatic of anything you guys have encountered or is it purely a councidence? It's probably happened 6 or so times in the last 2 weeks, each time in similar circumstances.

Edited by Rook
  • Like 1

1) try and have a listen to another 350z to determine if your sound is excessive. Mine makes a noise with the clutch pedal released as do other 350z due to the normal sound of the dmf.

2) possibly a worn engine, gearbox mount or a tired diff bush

• Like 1

1) good shout, only friendly local Z I know is a bloody auto though (thanks for nothing Jud haha). Maybe there's a meet soon.

2) I didn't even think of bushes, that's a great shout, thank you.

Edited by Rook
  • Like 1