Turned off - wouldn't start again...

Tom-89

Had a bit of a weird one this morning.

Decided to take the Z to work, quick 15m or so blast down mainly dual carriageway. I always give it plenty of time to warm up so it's a relaxed drive in.

about a mile from work I stopped to get breakfast, ran back out to the car and it wouldn't start. cranking over but just not firing, didn't even sound as though it was close to firing just turning over. took the key out, locked unlocked, redid the immob, turned the key and she fired straight up..?!

Now to me this sort of suggests a fuelling problem? if it was immobiliser related or something then it wouldn't crank? I don't believe it's the fuel pump as I changed that about 400 miles ago and when that went it would fire for a second then die. I'm intrigued as to what it's going to do when I get back to it after work. Fuel light is on but has only just come on, around 90km showing remaining.

any ideas what could have caused it?!

update...

Started fine when I got back to it. stopped for fuel about 10 mins into my journey...same thing. turning and turning but not firing. pulled the cover off and bashed the fuel pump and it fired up

tried it again when I got home, parked the car, turned it off, it wouldn't start again... same thing, bashed fuel pump, up it fires.

new fuel pump time....again.

would I not get lights on the dash if there were errors though? it runs absolutely spot on when I'm driving it...right up until the point I shut it off. and seems to come back when I bash the fuel pump...

I must have been typing my last reply as you posted yours. If you have to bash your fuel pump to get it to start, then I'd be looking into that first. Sounds like a bad electrical connection, sounds daft but, is the plug into the pump pushed in all the way? Or try just moving the wires around to see if it's that.

As for lights on the dash, you could still have stored faults that wouldn't put the Eml on, we get it all the time at work

Edited by Chris141084

tried to get it to do it again after wiggling all the wires near the fuel pump and typically it's started behaving. took it for a spin out, got back and it wouldn't do anything wrong. Thought I could hear it priming but maybe not...

it's a bit of a mystery. just strange that I haven't used it for a few days, fine when i last used it then suddenly this pops up. think i'll go in the other car tomorrow and take it for a spin at the weekend, don't want it stuck in my works carpark for bank holiday!

might give that a go. will dig out the ecu reset and see if it cures it.

tried it again tonight..same thing. starts fine initially and then after a short drive, turn it off and it won't start again. still not entirely convinced it's not fuel pump related, if I wiggle the wires whilst the engine is running the tone of the pump changes.

the whole thing is bloody weird.