Advice on which 350 to get or keep Skyline

speedball

Hi guys - first off hello!!!!

I currently own a R34 Skyline GTT, took it to a Nissan garage today to have it looked at but fell in love with a convertible 350zGT in blue. I'm only 22 so I like the modding of cars still. Which one should I get if I go through with it or should I even go through with it?

What are your thoughts of the car compared with a skyline, I've got a test drive booked, I'm just thinking that the 350 is a more modern and refined car. Don't get me wrong I love my Skyline with all my heart, but....

Is the convertible able to modded along hte NISMO lines as the coupe. I have spent all evening looking at reviews but not found out what really matters and thats the owners, any comments would be great

Thanks in advance

George Nightingale

http://www.speedball-rally.co.uk/

:welcome:

I've never driven a Skyline but I do know they are AWD. This will be the first difference you'll notice. I love RWD :teeth:B)

Also, not sure how much your GTT pushes, but I'm guessing it's more than the Standard Roadster... The Z is a modern car though, and tbh I can't fault them! :) A few niggles, but relatively minor and documented (here on this website, FAQ and Technical forums).

With regards to the modding scene, there's quite a lot of choice for both Z and ZR only mani difference would be for the rear spoiler due to the difference in shape of the ZR boot. Apart from that, quite a lot of goodies to mod your Z with! :)

So you the organiser of the speedball rally? sounds like good fun, and quite acessible price too, with leaving the choice of hotels to the participants! sounds like a great few days! :teeth:

Thanks for the replies

Sorry to be funny but they aren't AWD, the GTRs are, single turbo ones are RWD and mine is pushing 330BHP and the moment but was going to upgrade it but little point if going to swap cars.

So why get JDM, what is the difference between these and the UK cars. In terms of modding is the convertible the same shape as the coupe one and have the same parts available to mod it. I don't like the arse of the convertible, so thininking blue coupe with the white nismo wheels etc

What is a good site to look at for modding bits, have looked a bit on here but not found a comprehensive one, of pictures of modded ones already in this country.

This is my car I'm looking to change

thumbDSC00815.JPG

Thanks

George

:lol: that shows how much i know about Skylines :blush:

Yours look gorgeous mate!

the ZR shape is the same as the coupe apart from the obvious roof, and the shape of the back.

By parts you mean just styling parts or also performance parts? as I sd the Z and ZR have the same engine so whatever fits the Z fits the ZR.

Lots of sites where you can go on a shopping spree: www.350z-tech.com/zwiki

JDM cars are cheaper, but from nov 04 they are basically the same cars as Euro ones. hence why they are better for modding: you save money to ut in mods. Insurance can be more expensive though.

In this country, depending on the level of modding you are looking for, there's not THAT many Zs. Have a look at the gallery in here for some modified ones.

With regards to tuners modifying the Z, Sumo Power has a drift spec one with Turbo conversion, been in a few mags too.

G-Force and WRC tech are doing APS TT conversions, there's a couple of vortech supercharged Z owners on here too.

What do you need????

most of thie differences on the JDM are listed here

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=37

A good place to start getting info on aftermarket parts is here.

http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Nissan_3 ... rket_parts

And of course there is plenty of advice :gathering: here concernig mods. There will be plenty of help once you start your shopping list.

Nice looking motor by the way B)

Depends on your goals but the 350z is a great car i was looking for an R34 gtst before i got the 350z

The guys in the US are now finding it easyer and cheaper to get alot of power out of the VQ35DE than transplanting an RB26DETT with RWD (use the gtt drive)

If power is your goal TT kit with a coupe would be my choice

380 is doable with slapping a SC on it (Vortech is possibly the best option)

For 300bhp NA, you'll struggle if you keep the ECU stock.

I say: CAI+Plenum+Hi flow cats+Exhaust+UTEC and tuning should give you at least 300bhp. The Z ECU is a biatch and reverts/compensates mods gains for NA cars after a while, hence the extreme need for an ECU reflash (not available in UK) or some form of piggyback or more advanced EMS. :)

I have just got back from a test drive!!! Took out a blue raoadster and was so so so impressed. It felt much more refined and closer to the road that my Skyline. I must be honest that I missed the turbo quite alot.

I was speaking to the salesman there and the new range of Z's that they are bring out will come with what the GT4 have - 299bhp. So from there I could go air intake, zorst and a GReddy piggback ECU. Don't you just get rid of the cat - MOT schMOT!!!

I got hi-flow cats mate and they are legal :) and much less restrictive....

PS why greddy ems and not a UTEC? if you do some research or click the link in my sig... you'll see that the UTEC, dare I say it, is better :)

Glad you enjoyed the test drive. Oh and the 06 Zs will get the full 300hp , so you were short of 1 pony :)

Not sure about the Yanks.....

For the original engine they had 287bhp, whereas we had 280PS, ie 276bhp.

Would be a lot simpler if everyone used the one measure, still at least the 2 measures are almost in a 1:1 ratio so more or less interoperable. It's the numerous torque measures that really confuse me, never sure what any figure means without thinking about it for a while :wacko::scare:

Gus

Guest prescience

I'm sure he'll be along to advise and to admit that top-end there is really no advantage to mods with N/A in terms of power. Well perhaps it is unfair to say none, but the ECU does learn the mod (through detection of increased MAF etc) and compensates when via the long-term fuel trims and so it is never maximised

This guy on US dynos picked-up about 40-50 BHp; but that's dynojet numbers and look at the what the cost $$ must've been

http://www.geocities.com/sentry65/350z/mods.txt

He;s seen the light and is due for a FI option (Vortech in this case) and a piggy-back EMS (nominally SplitSec with Vortech but he will liley choose to continue with eManage)

Dorian is correct with the ECU issue, hence why I'm desperately trying to get the last car to have the UTEC event organised: I know mid range Zs with my setup gained over 20whp (Mark's and Steve-B's cars) over standard Zs but I feel with the UTEC in place gains wil be maximised and the bastard ECU will be finally bypassed properly! :teeth:

Kit is an Italian designed one, called Speed-Racing. A company that sells it is called Lester :)