MI / CEL - related to low power steering fluid?

Blue Straggler

Hi, hope this is the right forum (there isn't one for steering).

Long story short, I just noticed my MI light earlier today. Left everything a few hours.

Started car. Was idling at 1000rpm and when I set off (to take it somewhere secluded to try pedal dance) there was a disturbing high pitch whine. Decided to park up again. Sat a few minutes with engine off, and then fired up again. Idle rpm a more healthy ~600rpm now and no whine......UNTIL I tried to move - so I figured it was the power steering as it was at its worse when under most strain e.g. full lock or just trying to steer whilst stationary.

Drove ok (careful on revs, never more than 2.2k and never more than 48mph) to secluded spot. Pedal dance failed, quite possibly human error on the timings. Came back.

Noticed wet spot on the tarmac right at the front of my usual parking spot. Opened bonnet and noticed power steering fluid reservoir is in that spot, and also saw some telltale drips dripping off the underside on that side. Reservoir below minimum.

SO....

I have a power steering fluid leak.

I must say I had noticed these strange damp spots at front of car a couple of times and assumed that it can't be me, that it must be someone else leaking oil. But to be honest the position was wrong for anyone to be leaking oil.

This suggests that the leak is at least pretty slow.

Of course I'll get it looked at but not convenient to do immediately (I already contacted Cougar Store in Leicester who are overloaded and won't even be able to fit me in for a diagnostic plug-in until mid-April)

Questions to the forum

1) as a temporary measure will I be OK to just top up that reservoir as required, and put up with the slow leak?

2) is this likely to be the cause of my MI / CEL light? (and its failure to disappear after pedal dance?)

I'll go get some appropriate fluid tomorrow (I just missed closing times tonight!)

Thanks all

Keep the fluid topped up until you can get the issue looked at.

You may have to bleed, if it has run dangerously low.

Should be a very simple job to detect the leak, probably hose, pipe or rad.

Alex. :)

• Like 1

Keep the fluid topped up until you can get the issue looked at.

You may have to bleed, if it has run dangerously low.

Should be a very simple job to detect the leak, probably hose, pipe or rad.

Alex. :)

Thanks Alex. Sadly Europarts not open tomorrow so Halfords will have to do, hopefully they'll have the right stuff in. I'll buy a big carton (have a feeling you have to, for the good stuff at Halfords) to allow for bleeding the system (a job I'll leave to someone else before I ruin the whole thing with my anti-Midas touch!)

Edited by Blue Straggler

OK, topped up the steering fluid and that particular problem (horrible screech / whine when there is strain on the steering e.g. full lock) has unsurprisingly disappeared.

MI / CEL light still on though, so I guess it is unrelated, but it is a funny coincidence that it came on at the same time that my steering fluid got "critically" low.

Oil is good and car is driving OK. All a bit mysterious. I didn't retry the pedal dance today yet though.

Drove ok (careful on revs, never more than 2.2k and never more than 48mph) to secluded spot.

D'oh, that's only for flashing CEL isn't it (and 43mph, but I guess the car forces that limit in limp mode)

I gather that non-flashing CEL isn't so drastic and tends to mean a sensor failure somewhere - still needs investigation but the car won't explode in normal driving, right? RIIIIGHT???!

Ordered ODB thing off eBay anyway, as my curiosity is worth the £15 and I can't really get it to a garage in short time.