Paint & plastic waaay to tender

Indyzed

I haven't come across an old thread where the topic of the Z's ease of destruction has been discussed. I've been taking great strides in doing everything possible to keep my Z from getting damaged. Four days into ownership a small gouge showed up on my car's rear bumper.

A week ago a big gouge showed up behind my rear wheel (no doubt a rock thrown from the tire). Now last night going home from work a frickin dump truck going the opposite direction dropped something from the undercarriage, about the size of a hockey puck, and it smacked the front of my car creating a deep gouge. 3600 miles and three months of ownership and my Z has more damage than my 8 after four years and 40,000 miles. My 8 has waaaay more durable plastic and paint. That thing has seen a TON of freeway use and it has emerged nearly unscathed. I'm mad. :angry:

I haven't come across an old thread where the topic of the Z's ease of destruction has been discussed. I've been taking great strides in doing everything possible to keep my Z from getting damaged. Four days into ownership a small gouge showed up on my car's rear bumper.

A week ago a big gouge showed up behind my rear wheel (no doubt a rock thrown from the tire). Now last night going home from work a frickin dump truck going the opposite direction dropped something from the undercarriage, about the size of a hockey puck, and it smacked the front of my car creating a deep gouge. 3600 miles and three months of ownership and my Z has more damage than my 8 after four years and 40,000 miles. My 8 has waaaay more durable plastic and paint. That thing has seen a TON of freeway use and it has emerged nearly unscathed. I'm mad. :angry:

....Welcome to the world of water based paint and cost savings:

Might be a bit late now, but you not thought about Paintshielding or similar the front end etc? :blush:

First thing I'd do now on a new car.....

I looked into it but $600 is pretty steep plus I lease my cars and I don't feel it's wise to put a bunch of money in them with aftermarket stuff. I shouldn't need it as I use back roads to go to work and shun freeways plus this object would of damaged my front end anyways.

My 8 has waaaay more durable plastic and paint

Yeah I agree with you - my 8 was the same - really good paint and top build, having said that the paint on my Nissan Pathfinder is pretty tough - so its just down to weight saving I guess on the Z- you know how obsessed they are about that sort of thing?

If its lease then don't worry about it !

Unfortunately they all suffer from the worse evil known to car fans - accidentally catching the paintwork with your hosepipe when cleaning it :angry:

Stan

My 8 has waaaay more durable plastic and paint

Yeah I agree with you - my 8 was the same - really good paint and top build, having said that the paint on my Nissan Pathfinder is pretty tough - so its just down to weight saving I guess on the Z- you know how obsessed they are about that sort of thing?

If its lease then don't worry about it !

Unfortunately they all suffer from the worse evil known to car fans - accidentally catching the paintwork with your hosepipe when cleaning it :angry:

Stan

Oh man! I thought I was the only one who did that! You always hurt....the one you love :lol:

Even though it's a lease it still bothers me. I have a mild form of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and it's these kind of little things that drive me CRAZY. On the flip side, if someone called and said my house burned to the ground I'd be like "huh, that sucks".

I've actually nearly gotten to work and turned around and gone back home because I wasn't 500% sure my garage door was down even though I watched it go down. It sucks to be me :wacko:

I've actually nearly gotten to work and turned around and gone back home because I wasn't 500% sure my garage door was down even though I watched it go down

We must be related. I've done the same thing when I was'nt sure I had turned the gas fire off or did I close the upstairs window ?l Even though I had definitely :headhurt:

Lifes too short ..........

I've actually nearly gotten to work and turned around and gone back home because I wasn't 500% sure my garage door was down even though I watched it go down

We must be related. I've done the same thing when I was'nt sure I had turned the gas fire off or did I close the upstairs window ?l Even though I had definitely :headhurt:

Lifes too short ..........

Imagine what life will be like when we're old codgers and can't remember the last time we took our meds! I hope I don't overdose on my laxative :lol: