Mazda MX-5 MK1

MrsNiki

As per the title, looking for an MX-5 for under £1500 in reasonable condition for using as a (road legal) track car.

Not in any hurry to buy, but if anybody knows of any reputable sellers of these, let me know :)

Husband conditions attached to this car is that I have to do any work on it myself, so I could do with one that won't ever break haha! Need to learn more car maintenance stuff and stop paying daft garage charges for silly things I could actually do at home :blush:

I have looked on autotrader/PH etc, but just figured I'd ask here too :)

• Like 3

Good choice, I had one a couple of years ago as a track car whilst I had the 350z. Was good to have a convertible too as I had a coupe zed.

Mx5nutz would probably be the best place to look if you haven't already, it's where I bought and sold mine.

Buy a eunos Mk1 115bhp as opposed to 90bhp for a UK mx5. Mk1

Eunos are lighter as well.

Engine wise pretty bullet proof.

Biggest problem is chassis corrosion. Complete engines can be bought for around £130 with around 80,000 mile on.

Plenty of spare parts around in Mazda racing circles.

Hi Niki!

I bought a Mk2 for use as a daily/track car last year, went for a UK 1.8 with Torsen LSD... Love it!

I did a lot of reading before and most sources advised checking chassis rails for rust before you buy on a mk2, but I wouldn't rule anything out as there are definitely good and bad ones out there for all variants!

I've only done one track day so far (first time on a track, in the wet at a very busy mallory park!) and despite being overtaken most of the day, it was great fun.

All I've done so far is upgrade brake discs and pads all round which only took a few hours and I'm no mechanic!

Looking forward to more track days in it this year!!

Happy days!! Yeah read up that having LSD is a must, have priced up a retrofit system and its not cheap, so will look for one that has it already :)

Will do a good rust hunt at any I look at in that case, and not rule out a mk2

Cheers for the help so far guys, looking forward to getting my paws on one now :D