Replacing the original head unit with bose system

Wilsony

Would like some advice on changing my head unit for a screen?

How will an aftermarket unit deal with handling the power of the bose speakers installed?

What sort of power does it need to run the speakers and sub? Or does the original system have a separate amplifier running the system?

Thank you

Would like some advice on changing my head unit for a screen?

I've just done the same... happy to share what I've learnt (assuming I'm correct, of course ;) )

How will an aftermarket unit deal with handling the power of the bose speakers installed?

Unless you're up for a lot of re-wiring, your new headunit won't be powering the speakers directly. Instead, you will be feeding the OE Bose amplifiers.

What sort of power does it need to run the speakers and sub? Or does the original system have a separate amplifier running the system?

This is where it gets annoying. The OE Bose system is a bit odd... it's clearly designed as an end-to-end sealed system (headunit -> amps -> speakers) and not designed to have one of those links replaced independently.

The amps expect "line in" levels much higher than usual... so connecting your headunit's "line outs" to the Bose "line ins" results in a very quiet system. In essence, you end up having to connect your headunits "speaker outs" to the Bose "line ins"... sounds odd, but it works.

• Like 1