How bendy?

Jumzo

Is the Vortech V3 dipstick?

Was going to give the charger its first oil change a bit early at the weekend. Jacked up the car, pulled off the undertray to access th drain tube, got allen keys out only to realise I was now scuppered by lack of imperial sizes. That will teach me not to research a simple job fully beforehand!

Anyway, got a set today and went to undo the dipstick tucked away down the side but was then scuppered yet again by only being able to extract it part of the way before its stuck against the inner wing. Didn't really try to force it but just wondered if anyone else has encountered this issue and could advise if it was flexible enough to bend it over enough to extract it fully and more importantly, get it back in again?

Answer: not very

How much do you put in?: 1 bottle

;)

Yea, they really didn't think it's through for Zeds as the angle blower is mounted it's pretty much impossible to take it out.

Last year, when I did my 1 fluid change, I thought "I'll put same amount as I drain". I drained about 1.5 bottles (if comparing to the small bottles that fluid comes in), but then done research and found that 1 bottle is enough.

Also, Stephen/Chuby ninja, put a bit more in his and it pushed seals out when he was on track. And then he said that 1 bottle is enough.

• Like 1

I have to be honest and say when I did this on my old s/c Zed I found it a flippin' nightmare. Not exactly hard to do just awkward as f**k. :thumbdown:

Chris B took some good pictures that may help you out when he did his. Post n# 284 onwards: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/86592-precious-got-a-supercharger/page__st__280

:thumbs:

• Like 1

OK, so perseverance is the name of the game. Will have another bash at the weekend

I found it was all about the angle you attack it at.

If I'd have known how difficult it was prior to having the charger fitted though, then I'd have cut a piece of metal off the side of the inner wing in order to make getting the dipstick in & out easier. ;)

• Like 1

I was looking around it and thinking about digging out the dremel :D

Think you might need more than the Dremel to get through that metal, ...double skinned if I remember correctly. Although in saying that my Dremel's pretty hardcore with the fiberglass reinforced cutting discs.

You could always cut two slits a few inches apart and then maybe use a hammer & round bar to persuade the metal out of the way. Could be all the clearance you'd ever need.

If you do anything like that though make sure to think it through carefully first & get some pictures too if you do it as it may help other Vortech charged Zed owners out. :thumbs:

Well I had another bash during my lunch break. First of all started to undo and fumbled the allen key which thankfully fell right down through but still required the removal of the undertray yet again to fish it back out. With allen key retrieved, I fully undid and removed the dip stick with some minor persuasion - felt triumphant!

Admired it, wiped it off and went to put it back in - what a swine! Must have been at it over 20 mins before it finally slotted back in and onto the threads. And now I have to do it all again when i actually change the oil at the weekend! Hoping it will be easier second time around! :)

• Like 1

Well I had another bash during my lunch break. First of all started to undo and fumbled the allen key which thankfully fell right down through but still required the removal of the undertray yet again to fish it back out. With allen key retrieved, I fully undid and removed the dip stick with some minor persuasion - felt triumphant!

Admired it, wiped it off and went to put it back in - what a swine! Must have been at it over 20 mins before it finally slotted back in and onto the threads. And now I have to do it all again when i actually change the oil at the weekend! Hoping it will be easier second time around! :)

After you get the disptick out make sure you don't lose the small copper washer.

thumbnail_398356_Vortech_7P375-058_FS01-01@2x.jpg

It will either still be sitting on the supercharger dipstick hole or it will come out with the dipstick. Eitherway keep an eye on it (also don't over tighten the dipstick). ;)

Cheers, checked before leaving for work today to make sure it hadnt been throwing oil out after yesterdays tinkering but all seemed good and dry so will assume its still where its meant to be! Will keep an eye out next time