Rolling Road Result GT4

charlied

Bit odd this...

I had my GT4 rolling roaded yesterday on a machine that goes up to 300bhp and quite quickly my car went off the scale. So i thought this meant that it had just over 300bhp which i was very pleased with as i have only fitted a PiperX induction kit, however the operator insisted that it was doing 330bhp+ and could not be argued with!

Has anyone else had anything like this happen?

Bit odd this...

I had my GT4 rolling roaded yesterday on a machine that goes up to 300bhp and quite quickly my car went off the scale. So i thought this meant that it had just over 300bhp which i was very pleased with as i have only fitted a PiperX induction kit, however the operator insisted that it was doing 330bhp+ and could not be argued with!

Wow I,ve got one of these on as well , have you got a different exhaust fitted with this ?

From what I have heard, some rolling roads can be a little "optimistic". Though I have also heard that many maufacturers underestimate the power of the vehicles, in order to avoid pottential backlashes if the figures dont stack up to the adverts.

Whos going to go back and complain that their performancecar has more horsepower than stated?

The MKIV golf was notorious for this, many 130BHP TDIs would rolling road at 140+ for example. the 150bhp models would sometimes push 165. Strange but true.

I know what you mean but id really like to know for sure. The bloke was absolutely sure it was at least 330bhp and said he actually thought that it might be more like 350-380! This is why i thought he was off his rocker a little:wacko:

Bit odd this...

Wow I,ve got one of these on as well , have you got a different exhaust fitted with this ?

Only the induction!

:lol: no worries mate, you won't be pushing 330bhp. Here's an interesting post from another forum about rolling roads......

"Rolling roads

Whilst we are on the subject of rolling roads its perhaps worthwhile mentioning some experiences I have had (pardon me Dave for hijacking)

Firstly some background info

There are basically 2 types of dynamometer/rolling road/dyno

* Engine dyno, where you unbolt your engine and stick it in a temperature controlled room and run a series of tests, uncommon, expensive and rarely seen outside of serious engine builders

* Chassis dyno, this is the more common type where you drive your car on to a set of rollers, strap it down and do a series of power runs in a specific gear, usually 4th as it is 1:1

A good dyno operator will always measure environmental variables such as temperature, pressure and humidity as these can significantly affect the results.

Generally 2 readings are used

Rear wheel horse power or RWHP and flywheel HP

RWHP is a direct measurement of the power required to turn the rollers when a specific load is applied, flywheel HP is a figure calculated from RWHP taking into consideration rolling resistance and drive train losses, a dyno operator will calculate these from a “coast downâ€

The bloke was absolutely sure it was at least 330bhp and said he actually thought that it might be more like 350-380!

What an ar$e, doesn't sound like he should be let anywhere near a dyno :thumbdown:

Gus