Passenger Door Will Not Lock

Mikey Thompson

Hi there,

This has been an intermittent issue with my Zed but it seems the cold weather has caused it to happen consistently.

When I lock the car, the passenger door can still be opened. It is only to the point of around 10mm (the same kind of spacing where the door does not shut properly). Also I have noticed recently that the manual button on the inside passenger door handle can not be used to lock the door. It is stuck and no amount of forcing it gets it to budge!

Now the cold weather has set in, I have noticed that the door does not lock at all (bare in mind the door makes all the right noises, latch coming down etc.).

This has gotten me a bit panicky now as basically anyone can get into the car so needs sorting ASAP. I was thinking of taking the door card off but then what would I be looking for? Checking that something is correctly hooked? Any cable snapped or jammed? Any ideas on how I can test that it's not the actuator etc.

Many thanks in advance!

Mikey

The mechanics of the lock are really simple, you don't need to take the door card off to examine the lock

http://www.350z-uk.c...rs-door-handle/

The door card comes off in under 5 minutes its really easy, but I'd start with just taking off the arm rest and looking at the switch. The passenger arm rest is held on by the door pull (the vertical brushed aluminium thing) there are two screws at either end of the door pull. Unscrew the two screws pull the door pull towards you to detach it then pry up the arm rest. The door card is just held on with poppers, I start at the bottom and work my way up.

Are you stating the passenger can be opened when locked, but only by 10mm?

Edited by Randy_Baton

The mechanics of the lock are really simple, you don't need to take the door card off to examine the lock

http://www.350z-uk.c...rs-door-handle/

The door card comes off in under 5 minutes its really easy, but I'd start with just taking off the arm rest and looking at the switch. The passenger arm rest is held on by the door pull (the vertical brushed aluminium thing) there are two screws at either end of the door pull. Unscrew the two screws pull the door pull towards you to detach it then pry up the arm rest. The door card is just held on with poppers, I start at the bottom and work my way up.

Are you stating the passenger can be opened when locked, but only by 10mm?

Appreciate the info, thanks!

Initially yes, but I have now noticed that it opens fully (which I am presuming is down to the cold weather)

I'd just take everything off clean, degrease and re-lube any moving parts and check for anything that looks broken. It might just be getting stuck.

It could possibly be something to do with the fuses, but I'm not very skilled in electronics.

If there is anything wrong with the door handle mechanism I have some fro sale.

Happened to me a few years ago. But it was my drivers door so much more embarrassing lol

The mechanic did what was mentioned above- dismantled it and regreased it all. They said the lubricant had dried out and in the cold it seized up

Read it a couple of times on here

• 2 weeks later...

For reference of anyone doing a forum search.

I managed to sort this today, took the door card off and noticed that where the cables run to the inside door handle from exterior one, the white clips were not clipped into their allotted holders. The end of the cables were hooked into the correct places but they had nothing to 'grip' onto.

My only guess as to why it was difficult to move the inside door lock button rather than really easy is because the cables were somehow jammed due to this.

Previous owners eh?! Only had two but it only takes one numpty