Driver seat squeak

z350convert

Have metal against metal type mouse squeak coming from driver seat base.

Have put traps down but no rodents yet.

Have checked the obvious and the legs are firmly bolted down to floor. I can generate the squeak by rocking the seat squab so it seams to be the way the cushion is in touch with the frame rather than the frame itself.

Before I take the whole seat out tomorrow would like to check with the experts...

I see three electrical couplings and assume just disconnect with ignition off and I won't do any harm???

How does the seat cushion come off?. Could try that first because I think it's the seat of the problem (techy joke there)

Is the weight of the seat likely to give a 69 year old a hernia?

Any input would be appreciated

Many thanks

They shouldn't need resetting as long as you don't turn the ignition on whilst the seats out. I had my seats out the other day and when I put it all back together and turned the ignition all lights went out. Also the seats aren't that heavy, I've got a totally knackered back and I got mine out!

Next time you hear the squeak try moving the seat belt socket (the bit attached to the side of the seat) forwards or backwards on its pivot. I had a squeak which took me ages to find but it turned out to be the seat belt socket joint!

Ok well that wasn't too bad and the seat doesn't squeak any more.

I found a very good thread that described a metalic squeak like mine that comes from side to side play in the rod going across the seat under the front. It is for the raising and lowering of the cushion. I shimmed out the gap and got rid of the side to side play and squeak is no more. The passenger seat seems ok, probably as it gets far less wear.

Now I have got rid of that i can now hear all the other ones. So as soon as it stops blowing a gale and lashing with rain I am going to remove the lower dash on the passenger side and the centre console and put some foam edge tape on all the plastic to plastic and metal contact points. Don't fancy touching the section with the airbag so will leave well alone in case I find myself sitting on the neighbors roof.

The winter squeakfest continues