Alternator 350 2003

Robert1982

Hi,

My alternator failed on my Z last week. I bought one off another 350 from a breakers. I took the old one off and compared the two before i fitted the new (breakers) alternator. On comparrason I could see that one of the belts was slightly smaller on the new alternator? I was told the alternator was from a 2003 model so it should have been the same, the only difference I can think of is mine is an import and the new one was from a UK spec so my questions are...

1, Can I fit the new one with the smaller belt? Or shall I change the pulley from the old one to the new one?

2, What does the difference in belt size mean

3, Will it affect what amps I get out the alternator

4, How do I test what is coming out the alternator? If I can?

Thanks in advance

Robert

What do you mean by belt being smaller ?

Are you referring to length or the width ?

Standard sizes are 948 for the Air Con and 1173 for the Alternator.

The 948 is 4 rib and the 1173 is 6 rib.

Your options are to fit a different size belt or swop over the pulleys.

Normally when you are changing an alternator, you would fit new belts.

Your questions 2,3 and 4 are irrelevant.

Question 4 may not be relevant to connecting it all together, but it is relevant if you want to check you have a working alternator...

Using an electrical tester (the sort you can buy for a tenner from Maplin) place the red and black probes on the clamps to your battery. With the engine not running you will see a little over 12V. With the engine running (i.e. with the alternator providing power) you should see between 14.2V and 14.7V (mine shows 14.5V and 14.4V under load with the lights, heated window etc. on).